Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
UK Vans RV Forum
Welcome to the UK Vans RV Pilots & Builders Forum.
19.05.2024 at 12:12:06
News: Welcome to the RV (UK) Forum, Registration with proper names keeps forum friendly. Wink
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ellison throttle bodies (Read 3312 times)
Jon Grunwell
YaBB Newbies

Why not describe
your RV construction
experience?

Ellison throttle bodies
04.08.2009 at 08:59:44

Does anybody have one of these fitted ? RV8 owner with a 0320D2A fitted....I am considering an Ellison EFS4
any feed back would be appreciated
Thanks
Jon

Email   IP Logged
Pete Pengilly
RV Moderator

Peter Pengilly
Builder, Pilot,
Aeroplane Designer

Re: Ellison throttle bodies
Reply #1 - 11.08.2009 at 22:43:19

I used to have one (not in an RV) and I know of an RV-6 with one. What do you want to know?

Pete

RV-6A "Casper"
Tipper, O-320, fixed pitch
Email   IP Logged
Jon Grunwell
YaBB Newbies

Why not describe
your RV construction
experience?

Reply #2 - 15.08.2009 at 17:33:47

Hi Pete, Well I am considering this to replace my standard carb in an 0320, 160hp,  doing aero's & would like to have the engine running all the time ! wondered inf anybody had fitted one and are there any issues, I gather from Ellison there are currently none available & they are waiting for the next batch...of which I am on their list...would be interested to speak to the guy who has one on an RV6.
Kind regards

Jon

Email   IP Logged
Pete Pengilly
RV Moderator

Peter Pengilly
Builder, Pilot,
Aeroplane Designer

Reply #3 - 03.09.2009 at 22:44:03

Jon,

As far as I am aware it is not completely straight forward to fit an Ellison, and they can be a bit temperamental to set up, so if they run well at the top end the idle is not so good, or vice versa. When I had one I had to run with the mixture leaned off very slightly to make it run properly at full throttle. David Broom (G-RVAN) has one in his 6, and has used it for many years.  

Although it is more expensive I would be inclined to go with fuel injection. With better control of the fuel distribution you will probably burn up to 4 or 5 litres an hour less a carb equipped engine (I'm assuming an Ellison is similar to a carb in this regard), so the price difference and increased complexity of FI can be re-couped quite quickly.

Pete

RV-6A "Casper"
Tipper, O-320, fixed pitch
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print