Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
UK Vans RV Forum
Welcome to the UK Vans RV Pilots & Builders Forum.
19.05.2024 at 11:08:38
News: Welcome to the UK Vans Builder & Pilot Forum. Here you will be able to contact past and present RV builders.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What dos it cost to own an RV (Read 7300 times)
Adam Hodgson
YaBB Newbies

Why not describe
your RV construction
experience?

What dos it cost to own an RV
24.10.2009 at 15:07:32

What do you pay per year on average to own your RV if you used it for an hour a week or so?, I can appreciatate it probably varies alot so just on average will do, thanks.

Email   IP Logged
Rob Dobney
RV Moderator

Re: What dos it cost to own an RV
Reply #1 - 24.10.2009 at 16:23:55

Hangarage alone can vary wildly; at my local (EGBJ) it works out at about £2500 per year for hangarage. Insurance I 'think' will be about £1200-1500 depending on experience (total & on type). Landing fees are quite often on top of the hourly rate (fuel burn plus a bit extra as an 'engine fund'). You also have general maintenence costs (consumables, bits & bobs).  

I stand to be corrected on the above as mine isn't finished yet! If you're near Cheltenham & fancy a shrewd investment get in touch!!!  Wink Grin

Ex RV4 shareholder, RV8 G-DOBS now flying! OTBD/OTHH ATCO
Email   IP Logged
Tim Richardson
RV Moderator

RV7 - Builder
Flying. Hampshire,
England.

Reply #2 - 24.10.2009 at 19:41:28

Adam,

Hangar costs are variable. Fuel costs for a 360 are around 35 litres per hour. Yearly - insurance (£1200-1600), LAA fees (membership, permit costs, inspector), mainternance (oil and other items).

Regards,

Tim

RV7 G-OVII Permit: 23-Feb-07 Flight Hrs:352
Great Lakes 2T-1A-2 G-GLII Permit: 15-Jun-11 Hrs:44.5
RV4 awaiting permit, Carbon Cub under-construction, RV8 kit just purchased.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Rob Dobney
RV Moderator

Reply #3 - 24.10.2009 at 20:11:31

Oh yeah....forgot about LAA fees!!!!  Grin  Shocked

Email   IP Logged
Pete Pengilly
RV Moderator

Peter Pengilly
Builder, Pilot,
Aeroplane Designer

Reply #4 - 25.10.2009 at 22:02:08

My insurance is just less than £1000, and my fuel burn is around 28 lit/hour with a 160hp O-320. I have seen hangarage vary from <£100 to >£300 a month depending on airfield and facilities offered. Permit renewal is about £200, plus whatever you pay your inspector.  

Pete

RV-6A "Casper"
Tipper, O-320, fixed pitch
Email   IP Logged
Adam Hodgson
YaBB Newbies

Why not describe
your RV construction
experience?

Reply #5 - 26.10.2009 at 19:42:44

OK, thanks for the repleys so far but there's a few more points i'm interested in learning,

so what does Avgas cost now per litre? inc duty is that the only fuel you can use in aero engines?

Obviously you can tell i'm someone who has never owned a plane

Also can someone tell me are these engine overhauls you talk about mandatory and how often do they need to be done and how much per year does that translate into.

One last point i'm intested in, can the rest of the maintainence on RV's be done yourself like with cars and is the engine overhaul the only job you have to pay someone to do by law.

Email   IP Logged
Mark Albery

RV-8 G-RRVV

Reply #6 - 30.10.2009 at 23:31:57

I'll have a go at answering your questions.

Avgas is around 1.50/litre. My local field is less than half that price, but a bit out of your operating radius.
You can run on unleaded motor fuel subject to some restrictions and compatability checks, but not on the higher compression engines.

Engine overhaul is not fixed at time intervals, but based on engine condition. The 2000 hour figure that most people associate with Lycomings isn't a bad average, but real world figures often vary between 1000 to 3000 hours. There's a lot that you can do (or avoid doing) to increase your chances of a long service life. Typically 10-20 pounds/hour would cover powerplant maintenance and overhaul over the life of an engine (including mags, spark plugs, oil & filters etc.  

You can overhaul engines or do any other maintenance yourself, if under the supervision of a suitably qualified inspector. Not all inspectors have the same signatory authority. Routine maintenance you can do unsupervised up to the limits laid down by the LAA, but that permits most 50hour upto annual inspection and maintenance. The annual has to be inspected and signed off by your inspector.

Email   IP Logged
David Lewendon
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - 31.10.2009 at 08:02:27

I think that if you are paying £300 a month for hangarage then you should seriously consider getting your own strip. That amount per month would service quite a large mortgage which could be used to buy the five acres required for a runway. If two or three people formed a syndicate then you would have sufficient funds for land and a hangar.

You then have an appreciating asset rather than an annual loss and are in control of your own destiny not the airfield landlord. Simples !

I realise that finding five acres of flat ground free of wires etc is not easy but, you have an aircraft so why not make a detailed search of your local area to find some suitable land. If you don't want to buy the fuel then do it with Google Earth.

« Last Edit: 01.11.2009 at 07:18:36 by David Lewendon »  

Composed mainly of ginger biscuits and water.
Email WWW   IP Logged
bobpipedream
YaBB Newbies

RV6 - the long walk

Reply #8 - 31.10.2009 at 10:05:24

RV not ready yet, but costs for me on a Luscombe -  

14 litres per hour
£628 insurance
£140 hangarage per month
What is an engine fund....
£180 permit renewal
Inspector fees £100
Oil £30 a year
Landing fees - £30 per month - 2-3 a month and free mag landing fees

Truth is that I do not believe in the cost per hour route as fixed costs have to be paid and flying hours are variable.

Engine fund strikes me as a bit of a pain. I don't have a fund for a new car or other unexpected shocks so why keep a separate fund? (obviously group share need to, but that is a different concept).

Best idea is buy a Peugeot 406 diesel for £1k, it does 50mpg and costs very little in parts and you do not need to worry about scratches etc. I do about 20K miles a year and it now has 240,000 on the clock. The money I save from not buying a new car and doing all the garage thing where some greasy moron charges you for a very suspiciously ungreasy mechanic to change the oil under the gimick of calling that a service... Well lets just say that my cost of motoring is about £3K including fuel, tax and insurance - company gives me £4k for 10,000 business miles, I keep a thousand and it helps pay for flying. That gives real value for money.

Email   IP Logged
Adam Hodgson
YaBB Newbies

Why not describe
your RV construction
experience?

Reply #9 - 03.11.2009 at 02:21:54

OK then, one last question if somebody doesn't mind answering is how does group insurance compare to individual insurance cost?  

Say for four parties to insure an RV-4 in a quarter share each syndicate?

Thanks for answering. Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Rob Dobney
RV Moderator

Reply #10 - 03.11.2009 at 08:39:54

Again, it would vary depending on overall experience of each individual concerned.

Email   IP Logged
Mark Albery

RV-8 G-RRVV

Reply #11 - 04.11.2009 at 01:18:31

Insurance for a group isn't a great deal more than for an individual. We have 5 named pilots on the RV-4's insurance for around £1200/year.
They usually treat inexperienced pilots with a dual conversion period and a higher excess until they have reasonable time on type.

Email   IP Logged
richardecho
YaBB Newbies

Why not describe
your RV construction
experience?

Reply #12 - 12.04.2010 at 15:56:58

Hi  

We run an RV8 out of Sibson

Our RV cost £5262 per year to run.

This is broken down to:
Insurance     £1866
Hangarage    £1196
Maintinance   £1500
Engine Fund  £500
PFA permit    £100

Things to vary a little and some of our maintinance we have allowed for an engineer to be paid.

I hope this helps and good luck

Cheers

Richard
GGUNZ

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print