Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
UK Vans RV Forum
Welcome to the UK Vans RV Pilots & Builders Forum.
18.05.2024 at 08:14:36
News: Welcome to the RV (UK) Forum, Registration is manual to keep away spammers.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MGL FF-1 fuel flow meter, Floscan and EI sensors (Read 2503 times)
Alan Hall
YaBB Newbies

RV6 first flight
permission granted

MGL FF-1 fuel flow meter, Floscan and EI sensors
23.11.2009 at 15:53:11

I've decided to give my RV6 a fuel flow meter for Christmas, and am keen on the MGL Avionics FF-1. However I can't recall ever seeing one in the flesh, much less in an RV, which is odd as the distributor tells me it is his best-selling MGL instrument. Has anybody got any experience, good or bad, with this unit?

Also, I gather opinions differ on the merits of the Floscan sensor (as recommended by MGL) and the EI unit. Again, any experiences good or bad would be appreciated.

Finally, if anybody has already been through the MOD process with either of these sensors and has any tips to share, I'd be most grateful.

TIA

Alan

Email   IP Logged
Pete Pengilly
RV Moderator

Peter Pengilly
Builder, Pilot,
Aeroplane Designer

Re: MGL FF-1 fuel flow meter, Floscan and EI senso
Reply #1 - 24.11.2009 at 18:57:32

Alan,

Floscan senders are used by GRT amoungst others - there must be loads of GRT EIS & EFIS installed, so I wouldn't imagine finding somewhere to put the sender would be too tricky. The mod process looks daunting, but isn't. Its design to frighten off the tinkerer. Most of the evidence will be in service experience from other aircraft with the same installation - you only care about the sender not restricting the fuel flow or getting blocked as the LAA aren't really concerned if the unit is accurate - that's your problem! The always want to approve any fuel system mod so you probably won't be able to use someone else's submission, but you could ask. You might also be able to justify it on safety grounds as potentially more accurate than gauges?

Pete

RV-6A "Casper"
Tipper, O-320, fixed pitch
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print