Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
UK Vans RV Forum
Welcome to the UK Vans RV Pilots & Builders Forum.
19.05.2024 at 12:19:42
News: Welcome to the RV (UK) Forum, Registration with proper names keeps forum friendly. Wink
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Time to build a RV 7? (Read 4462 times)
Lee_Elliott
YaBB Newbies

Licensed aircraft
engineer

Time to build a RV 7?
11.12.2009 at 14:51:22

Hi there, new member here, hoping to start building my first RV in about 18 months time when I leave the military.

I was wondering what sort of time frame it takes to build a RV 7? I understand that there are different skill levels, and people put in the hours and some don't.

So, for an skilled worked (I'm a aircraft technician by trade) how many man hours is reasonable for completion?

Many thanks and I look forward to asking many questions... Grin

Lee Elliott
  IP Logged
David Pick
YaBB Newbies

No RV construction
experience... yet

Re: Time to build a RV 7?
Reply #1 - 01.01.2010 at 17:23:55

Sorry that no-one has answered your questions, Lee... Plenty of practical RV knowledge around these parts usually.

There are 2 ways to build an RV7, quick-build and slow build.  The Vans website will tell you about the differences but most people reckon the QB knocks about 1000 hours off the build.  However the Vans estimates seem a bit optimistic - the average (with wide variations) seems to be about 1500-2000 for QB and 2500+ for slow build.

Oh no! I've sold the RV!
Email   IP Logged
bobpipedream
YaBB Newbies

RV6 - the long walk

Reply #2 - 03.01.2010 at 09:52:33

Hi Lee,

There are ways to make it a bit quicker - keep it simple etc. Just don't buy an unstarted RV6 slowbuild - ouch...

I am thinking of getting the old bone flying with just the three primary instruments and then fitting the efis stuff later when time and money permits. Although using EFIS like Dynon may get you out of fitting stall warners and using a fancy radio gets you out of installing an intercom (about 5 hours to wire than thing in). I will also be buying seats from Classic aero which saves a bit of messing around and gives me the excuse of having a holiday in the USA to pick them up - just use the nothing to declare channel on the return.

Oh God, Gorden strangely Brown is on TV. If he gets in again, then that will be a good enough reason to emigrate and then build an RV somewhere else...

Sorry off the point there. What has helped me recently is putting the TV in the garage. Helps pry me out of the warm flat - just be careful what you watch and have a punch bag to vent GB-inspired agression...

Email   IP Logged
Steve Noujaim
YaBB Newbies

Pilot Instructor
Builder

Reply #3 - 07.01.2010 at 06:42:23

Hi Lee,

Sorry for the lack of replies. Where are you posted? If you are near Gloucester then you are welcome to come and look at my 7. It's a little non standard but is close enough to give you an idea. To be frank the hours are what they are; things are so variable that it is very difficult to say how long it will take you personally. I found the building process that I perceived to be the chore before flying, was actually rewarding and satisfying, that surprised me. While you are still in the mob I would recommend that you order and build the empennage, if you are on a flying station you will have enviable access to equipment and expertise and I reckon with the help of the guys in ASF (or whatever it's called these days) or BDA you could knock the back end out in a month easily. Wings 3 months (slow build). In fact if you engage your mates I reckon the basic rivetting including the fuselage could be completed easily in the time you have left. While your tin bashing why not ask the guys in avionics to give you a hand with the wiring? and of course there will be a paint bay on the station! Get going now and get Aunty Betty to give you a hand. If you are at Coningsby go and see Sqn Ldr Smith in BBMF he is really in to Light Aviation I am sure he and his guys would give you a hand. Building an RV is only limited by one's imagination
If you want to come over to Gloucester bring coffee it's cold

Steve N

RV7 G-IIXF 200hp Hartzell Flying
  IP Logged
Lee_Elliott
YaBB Newbies

Licensed aircraft
engineer

Reply #4 - 08.01.2010 at 16:37:36

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not planning to start building until after I've left the mob (and I wear green not blue.. Wink) so using base facilities won't be possible.

In between now and starting it, I've got to find a (civilian) job, buy/build a new house and move, so there really is no hurry.

As for the avionics, well, I am an avionics tech who can do the sheet metal and mechanical too, although I may rope the missus in to do some riveting!

It seems the average answer is 1500 - 2000 hours, and I'll be getting a SB, I've heard some issues of quality with the QB workmanship? (anyone confirm or deny that?)

Thanks again.

Lee Elliott
  IP Logged
Pete Pengilly
RV Moderator

Peter Pengilly
Builder, Pilot,
Aeroplane Designer

Reply #5 - 09.01.2010 at 13:03:41

Hi Lee,

The quality of the QB kits is variable, but over a reasonably long time period - there doesn't seem to be 'Friday afternoon' QBs. My QB is very well put together, but I have seen others that are not so good. Nothing I have seen is in any way 'bad', just not quite as good as a careful builder could make it - but the worst is about the same as normal production standards, so not really 'bad'. Having said all of that I think the less good quality QBs appeared a few years ago - but as the QB firm now has a new factory you have to assume a few new workers will have been hired ...

There's a chap in Fort Worth, Texas, who has helped to build around 30 RVs, he estimates it will take 1000 hours to finish a QB. If you haven't done it before you probably won't be too adventurous while the more experienced will add the odd personal touch here and there and still take 1000 hours. A QB saves around 800 hours of rivet bashing (for around $10K - a reasonably good deal in my book), but you may take longer as priming everything can add a few hours (the wash primer on QBs is not fantastic, they need ACF-50 or Corrosion-X).  

Figure out if you want to build or fly, and buy accoridingly. If you are about to change job how much time will you be able to dedicate to building? If buying a new house make sure you have a large garage attached to the house to build in.

Pete

« Last Edit: 17.01.2010 at 08:30:12 by Pete Pengilly »  

RV-6A "Casper"
Tipper, O-320, fixed pitch
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print