Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
UK Vans RV Forum
Welcome to the UK Vans RV Pilots & Builders Forum.
06.05.2024 at 15:49:36
News: New board SHIPPING added to help RV builders manage their shipping from Vans.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TANK SEALER (Read 3364 times)
Robin_Charles
YaBB Newbies

RV9A Bought with
completed Empennage.
Built ailero

TANK SEALER
21.03.2011 at 20:30:59

I'm, about to start the dreaded fuel tank build. The VANS Accessories Catalogue talks about Quart packs of sealer. LAS only do 150mil packs. Another RV9 builder tells me he only used about 300 mil for his, but to check in case his memory is like mine! Apart from the mess, what experience please.
Thanks
Robin Charles. RV9- wing under construction.

IP Logged
Mark Albery

RV-8 G-RRVV

Re: TANK SEALER
Reply #1 - 24.03.2011 at 18:35:54

I got mine from Silmid, who do several varieties of polysulphide sealants.
The Semkits are the cleanest and neatest to use, but you will waste any content that doesn't get used in one session.

There are some people who advocate assembling all the ribs and bulkheads with sealant and clecos and thenriveting after it has set.

Whichever way you choose it will need several sessions and its always a good idea to have some tins and measuring scales for mixing up small amounts.

Using too much sealant is far preferable than dealing with leaks afterwards IMO.

Email   IP Logged
Mark Browning

RV-7 I0360 G-IVII
 Flying, Built
G-LNNE

Re: TANK SEALER
Reply #2 - 24.03.2011 at 21:32:04

Hi  Robin  

A few tips on proseal and tank building  

•      Don’t skimp of sealer more is better
•      Mix 1OO grams at a time; the working time works out about right using this amount.
•      Ensure the proseal  is  mixed well  
•      Keeping proseal warm helps you work with it  
•      Cover both parts with pro seal that  you are riveting together  
•      Once riveted, cover over the shop head of the rivet with a dab of sealer.  
•      Have plenty of latex gloves / rags and MEK or thinners to clean up with  
•      Don’t try to do too much in one session.
•      Try to ensure you leave a bead of sealer around the parts that have been riveted together this helps to ensure a good seal.  Very important on the rear tank baffle.

A lot of builders report that they don’t like this part of the project. To me it was a very satisfying part of the build. Proseal gets everywhere if you work in say 45 minute sessions followed by a clean up this will help you in the long run.

cheers  

Mark  

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print