Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
UK Vans RV Forum
Welcome to the UK Vans RV Pilots & Builders Forum.
03.05.2024 at 23:08:33
News: Welcome to the UK Vans Builder & Pilot Forum. Here you will be able to contact past and present RV builders.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
IO320D1A fixed pitch conversion (Read 2847 times)
simpleflying
YaBB Newbies

RV6 Slowbuild IO-320
Sensenitch fixed
pitch

IO320D1A fixed pitch conversion
01.05.2011 at 17:35:05

I've got a new IO320D1a which came direct from Vans which I intend to operate in my RV6 with a fixed pitch Sensenitch prop. Iun   erstand from the Lycoming documentation and from an email from vans that all of these engines are set up for constant speed props before despatch and need converting for fixed pitch operation.  

There is a small diagram and instruction which suggests that the front crankshaft plug should be removed and a 1/8" hole drilled in the rear seal to prevent oil pressure blowing the front seal out.

I'm keen to hear if anyone else has been through this process and has any advice? I'm a bit reluctant to start drilling holes in a new engine!

The engine is intalled and I'm wondering if this can be done from the front (prop end) and if so what length of drill will be needed?

Neil Rawlinson
Email   IP Logged
Pete Pengilly
RV Moderator

Peter Pengilly
Builder, Pilot,
Aeroplane Designer

Re: IO320D1A fixed pitch conversion
Reply #1 - 25.06.2011 at 22:12:03

Hi Neil,

Sorry to be so late replying. The conversion is reasonably straight forward and is detailed in a Lyc SB (sorry, can't remember which one). The only way to do this is working from the front of the crank. I would strongly advise against drilling out the rear bung as it is almost impossible to make sure you get all the swarf out. Use a stout screw driver or chisel to bash a hole in the bung and lever it out. Don't bash too far through as there is a pipe running diametrically through the crank not too far behind the bung. You will then have to fit the front bung - requires a good whack with a 3lb hammer (with piece of wood in between).  

The alternative is to leave the rear bung in place, fit the front bung, and use the pipe that would have supplied oil to the prop to return oil to the sump - a special cover plate is required on the governor pad to let oil flow back.

Pete

RV-6A "Casper"
Tipper, O-320, fixed pitch
Email   IP Logged
simpleflying
YaBB Newbies

RV6 Slowbuild IO-320
Sensenitch fixed
pitch

Re: IO320D1A fixed pitch conversion
Reply #2 - 26.06.2011 at 20:49:18

hi pete,

Thanks for the reply. I have now done the deed and wonder why I was so nervous!

Neil Rawlinson
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print