Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
UK Vans RV Forum
Welcome to the UK Vans RV Pilots & Builders Forum.
04.05.2024 at 04:55:13
News: Welcome to the Vans UK Builder & Pilot Forum - To register email admin [at] rvforum.co.uk .
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
rivet squeezer problem (Read 2780 times)
steve beard
YaBB Newbies

rebuilding RV6

rivet squeezer problem
02.07.2011 at 20:03:49

hi guys

just wondered if anyone advise me on the operating limitations of a cp214c rivet squeezer as i have tried squeezing a 470 5-6 rivet today and my cp 214 would not do it, is this because the rivet to thick to squeeze? or is my squeezer kaput? my compressor is pushing out 120psi and the squeezer can flatten a 470 4-5 to next to nothing, confused?
cheers
Steve

IP Logged
Mark Albery

RV-8 G-RRVV

Re: rivet squeezer problem
Reply #1 - 02.07.2011 at 20:48:25

I presume you're using a bigger diameter rivet because of an enlarged hole.  
A standard Chicago type pneumatic squeezer should cope, but the highest force is at the end of the stroke where the mechanical advantage increases.
Try opening up the dies (dice?) a little and see if that helps. If the head doesn't form fully, you may need to then close the dies back and give it a second squeeze.

Email   IP Logged
Mike Newall

A330 Capt, Builder,

Re: rivet squeezer problem
Reply #2 - 03.07.2011 at 22:58:42

I concur.

When doing the larger length rivets - set the die so that the piston has the longest possible stroke, otherwise it doesn't come on cam so to speak.

DO NOT lubricate anything as squeezers run dry due to the leather washers inside.

Mike

7 Flying !, 8 in both workshops. Next one will be quicker, simpler, better. But they all say that, don't they ?
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print