Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
UK Vans RV Forum
Welcome to the UK Vans RV Pilots & Builders Forum.
13.05.2024 at 21:54:09
News: Welcome to the RV (UK) Forum, Registration is manual to keep away spammers.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1st flight speeds and feeds? (Read 2868 times)
Phil_Chapman
YaBB Newbies

Why not describe
your RV construction
experience?

1st flight speeds and feeds?
01.12.2011 at 15:48:22

Just finished G-KAOS and have submitted paperwork to LAA for test flights.

Does anyone have numbers for flight phases for an RV7, IO-360 (180) with CS Prop?

Stall, approach, cruise settings etc anything to help expectations on first flight?

Email   IP Logged
Mark Albery

RV-8 G-RRVV

Re: 1st flight speeds and feeds?
Reply #1 - 03.12.2011 at 04:16:32

Indicated stall speeds can vary considerably as it doesn't take much static error to throw things out. I fixed a static leak once to discover a 10 knot drop in my "stall speed".

I have an RV-8 with a similar configuration IO-360, Hartzell BA prop and can offer the following suggestions.

Do an exploratory stall, at least to the buffet and note the ASI reading.

Set up the approach configuration at 1.3 times that speed and simulate a few approaches and go-arounds. Note that with full flap and fine pitch (high RPM) the glide is very steep and arresting the descent may use up more altitude and airspeed than you're used to.

If it's a new engine then keep a relatively high cruise setting - say 2400 rpm and 24"MP until the oil consumption settles. You'll probably see 150 KIAS or more if you have all the spats and fairings on.
Monitor CHT and try to keep them below 400-420F; shouldn't be too hard in the winter.

If you have at least 600-700m of runway, there is no harm in approaching at 80 KIAS (90mph) to give you a little bit of float to feel out your early landings. Gradually bring it back to 65-70 KIAS when you have a feel for how quickly it stops flying. 3-point or wheel landings are a matter of preference. The -8 tends to favour wheelers as it doesn't want to get the tail down at forward CG and it stops flying very quickly in the 3-point attitude with an aft CG. I've not flown a -7 so can't advise.

Take-off, no flap (unless it's very short and bumpy). She'll fly off easily as the speed shoots through 50 knots. Let it build to about 70-80 knots initially and then 90-100 to give you better cooling and more of a view forward. I cruise climb at 120-130 knots.

Anyway, congrats on hitting that last rivet. Go out and enjoy. You deserve it.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print