Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
UK Vans RV Forum
Welcome to the UK Vans RV Pilots & Builders Forum.
28.03.2024 at 13:14:16
News: Welcome to the UK Vans Builder & Pilot Forum. Here you will be able to contact past and present RV builders.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Container now loading! Formerly USPS need an Atlas (Read 13259 times)
bobpipedream
YaBB Newbies

RV6 - the long walk

Container now loading! Formerly USPS need an Atlas
17.09.2009 at 10:31:19

Hi all,

My parcel was sent on the 2nd September by Priority mail. It took 6 days to reach San Francisco, then it ended up in Argentina, where it has now languished for a week.

Have no idea how to get refund etc. and given all the hassle with the container and Vans in general, can not help but think it would have been far easier to build an Europa. As if it is not difficult enough to build a 6, the ignorance and stupidity of some come and make it ten times worse...

Is it all really worth the hassle?

« Last Edit: 06.10.2009 at 12:04:00 by David  Richard »  
Email   IP Logged
Mark Browning

RV-7 I0360 G-IVII
 Flying, Built
G-LNNE

Re: USPS need an Atlas and an education
Reply #1 - 17.09.2009 at 11:00:25

Hi  
Sorry to hear  that you had all this trouble, Since i started building six yers ago i have never had to wait for a thing from Van's. Order somthing on a Sunday night and arrives by Thursday morning although shipping via Fed ex is not cheap, but have to say its very quick and reliable.

My finishing kit  container that i had shipped by sea  last summer took just under a month from vans dispatch and  could track it daily.  
Dont know wheather you have been reading the forum but if you have you will have seen that i craked my canopy and had to re order another.    From Vans ordering the canopy from Airplane plastics Ohio and then  shipping from Vans via sea this took 4 1/2 weeks and again i could tarck the shipment.

Looks like you have drawn the short staw in the luck dept !
I know you must be feeling sick about the whole expereince but nothing beats craking the most expensive part of the kit !   cry

Regards
Mark  

Email   IP Logged
bobpipedream
YaBB Newbies

RV6 - the long walk

Reply #2 - 21.09.2009 at 12:10:34

Hi Mark,

I heard about the canopy and did feel for you. I have that stage coming soon and am not looking forward to it.

However on Saturday, my parcel was tracked at Heathrow so I am beginning to hope that I may get it one day soon. I am sure customes and Parcelforce will try to charge me money first - I pay customs, but do not pay Parcelforce as £13.50 for sending me a letter and delaying it further is a bit rich. So all those out there facing a Parcelforce charge - asked to be billed the charge separately and then just pay the customs charge over the phone; they will not come after the £13.50 and should not as it is illegal to hold up the post anyway.

Note to any Parcelforce people - if you were to ask £5 I would not quibble, but you got your share from the $70 I paid USPS...

Email   IP Logged
bobpipedream
YaBB Newbies

RV6 - the long walk

Reply #3 - 29.09.2009 at 11:20:51

Parcel finally arrived today - 1 month and one hell of a trip after leaving Oregon. It is clearly marked UK on parcel - so it was USPS bunging it in a consignement of 3 to Argentina. Nice note and clearance documents from Argentinian post office included.

USPS tracking still shows it in Argentina...

Email   IP Logged
Rob Dobney
RV Moderator

Reply #4 - 29.09.2009 at 22:57:14

Well, on the bright side you got a lot of shipping for your money!  Wink Huh

Ex RV4 shareholder, RV8 G-DOBS now flying! OTBD/OTHH ATCO
Email   IP Logged
David  Richard
RV Moderator

RV-8A QB  slowly
converting to a slow
build!!!!

Van's now loading UKRVContainer
Reply #5 - 02.10.2009 at 17:27:45

Hello folks,

Barbara Billman has advised me that they have begun crating up the kit's ready for loading on to the container this Tues.

She has also asked that no amendments to your orders will be carried forward that had not already be processed prior to yesterday.

Their crating dept. is trying to work miracles to get all the items packed into this container so they are insistent that no other matters delay them, they are only too aware of the problems we've already encountered and although this may seem a little harsh after such long delays it's understandable all the same.

Regards

David

RV-8A Fuse/Finish kit/Engine
WWW   IP Logged
John Brady
YaBB Newbies

LAA vice-chair,
 RV-6a share + RV-8
QB in progress

Reply #6 - 02.10.2009 at 17:46:28

Hurrah

« Last Edit: 06.10.2009 at 11:37:06 by David  Richard »  

RV8 QB G-RUVE
  IP Logged
David  Richard
RV Moderator

RV-8A QB  slowly
converting to a slow
build!!!!

Reply #7 - 02.10.2009 at 18:06:58

Double Hurrah!

This is the info we need....! Hope there are no Unterwasser boot still lingering about!

Carrier:  APL (Conterm as shipping agent)
Vessel:  Maersk Messologi
Voyage:  909
Booking Number:  084350940
Sails:  Oct. 21 from New York
Discharges:  Oct. 30 in Felixstowe

Regards  David

WWW   IP Logged
John Brady
YaBB Newbies

LAA vice-chair,
 RV-6a share + RV-8
QB in progress

Reply #8 - 04.10.2009 at 10:31:47

David,

do you know about shipping insurance?  I assume there is insurance included in the price to cover shipping from Vans to Felixtowe and we wll be blled for that in due course.  Is that right?  Insurance will also be necessary from the point that the previous cover expires to the point of delivery to the customer.  I would like to know who arranges that and how it integrates with the shipping insurance.  For example, if on post-delivey inspection some expensive part is found to be damaged, how does one tie that down to a particular insurer?

Any thoughts welcome.

John

« Last Edit: 06.10.2009 at 11:36:02 by David  Richard »  

RV8 QB G-RUVE
  IP Logged
David  Richard
RV Moderator

RV-8A QB  slowly
converting to a slow
build!!!!

Reply #9 - 06.10.2009 at 11:51:14

Hello All,

My understanding is that Van's arrange through the shipper insurance cover from Van's to the destination port, in this case Felixstowe.  

JB you may recall that you were going to check with MW what onward arrangement he might be able to organise for onward transportation ex Felixstowe so I guess insurance would indeed need to be arranged for that additional leg.

I would urge each consignee to check out with Van's if they require either clarification of cover or additional cover etc.

My understanding is that the container is to be loaded today.

FYI I've heard though not had confirmed, that HMRC recently refused to accept an end user application due to non acceptance of a C100 due to computerisation issues. I do not know any other details but will report back if I learn more.

WWW   IP Logged
David  Richard
RV Moderator

RV-8A QB  slowly
converting to a slow
build!!!!

Re: Container now loading! Formerly USPS need an A
Reply #10 - 27.10.2009 at 12:02:00

Hello all,

Please be advised that our 'container ship' can be tracked from the following link:

<a href="http://aprs.fi/?call=372322000&mt=m&z=7&timerange=259200">Maersk Messologi<a/>

Currently, it's due north of the Orkneys on it's way to call into Bremerhaven before unloading our consignments at Felixstowe.

Please check and double check your paper work to ensure it's in order and your getting what you think you've ordered! Some mistakes have already come to light. JW is going to process our kit's clearances  quickly but he does need to ensure that payments are made promptly to him and he will eventually work out the division based on our formula once he is notified of the overall cost's, ie container, devan, ff fees, agents, customs etc. He is expecting some provisional paperwork this week.

Additonal storage costs apply and are not included in our formula if items not cleared promptly.

Regards

David

WWW   IP Logged
Rob Dobney
RV Moderator

Reply #11 - 27.10.2009 at 20:52:43

Well done guys! The container is finally in UK waters! (Albeit briefly...). The wait is nearly over. Then you can all GET BUILDING AGAIN!!!! Cheesy Wink

Ex RV4 shareholder, RV8 G-DOBS now flying! OTBD/OTHH ATCO
Email   IP Logged
John Brady
YaBB Newbies

LAA vice-chair,
 RV-6a share + RV-8
QB in progress

Reply #12 - 27.10.2009 at 22:10:56

Thanks for keeping track of all this David.  The Moet is on ice for the arrival!

RV8 QB G-RUVE
  IP Logged
Big Misters
YaBB Newbies

Why not describe
your RV construction
experience?

Reply #13 - 28.10.2009 at 21:30:11

Gentlemen  

The Container is indeed arriving here in not so sunny Felixstowe on Friday, Vessel is shown on arrivals system as berthing at 1800Hrs  

Vans Agent has finally seen fit to send me some paperwork as regards the contract and prices and it seems that despite the fact that Vans were given precise instructions from David as to Loading and Document preparation, it has been decided to do something completely different.  

Many of you will have read some of the Hogwash about the death of the C100 and what that means, complete and utter rubbish the only thing that has happened is that the paper form that you had to complete has been pensioned off. All the information that you filed on the form is still sent to customs but electronically as part of the formal entry rather than as an additional accompanying document that added half a day to the clearance process.  

This however means that theaudit process from HMRC has become slightly tougher and as a result I have advised David that he could face audit issues if selected as Vans have crated everything up individually rather than in 1 big crate as previously planned  

It will therefore be necessary to prepare and submit entries for anyone who has a crate rather than a share of a crate and handle those shipments individually. Painful I know but I would rathe pain now and no hassle later rather than hassle free now and pain for some in 2010/11 during audit. If some have difficulty with understanding that I will send the details of my accountants who are arguing over a VAT Agency issue dating to 2006 and £42000 that HMRC have suddenly decided we owe.  Angry

I have therefore asked David to contact the parties concerned and supply their up to date contact info so I might liaise with them next week.

Timeframe Plan for those Interested (Draft)

30/10 Arrives Felixstowe  

Wed 4/11 Unload at Warehouse and begin HMRC Clearances
Fri 6/11 Goods avail for collection from 1300 Hrs  
Monday 9/11 Deliveries to Home Addresses on Hiab Vehicle commence

Jon

Email   IP Logged
Big Misters
YaBB Newbies

Why not describe
your RV construction
experience?

Reply #14 - 28.10.2009 at 21:32:40

Ref Insurance Questions  

The Policies are normally fuly freighted to Delivered to Consignee therefore if we are doing the deliverie that includes UK transportation if collected Insurance ends when you leave Warehouse

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print