Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
UK Vans RV Forum
Welcome to the UK Vans RV Pilots & Builders Forum.
28.03.2024 at 15:45:25
News: Welcome to the RV (UK) Forum, Registration is manual to keep away spammers.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
importing complete kit (Read 5804 times)
Sam_Cummins
YaBB Newbies

Why not describe
your RV construction
experience?

importing complete kit
21.07.2011 at 00:46:13

I"m planning to purchase a RV7 kit. Does anyone know if there is any disadvantage to importing the complete kit,engine,prop etc in one shipment.

Email   IP Logged
Rob Dobney
RV Moderator

Re: importing complete kit
Reply #1 - 21.07.2011 at 09:30:42

Only disadvantage I can think of is the length of time the engine may be sitting there before getting used. Depends on how quickly you'll get it built. If you order all except the engine, you need to be certain what engine you will get as the firewall forward kit will reflect that choice. In hindsight, I wish I'd ordered the FWF kit at the same time.

Ex RV4 shareholder, RV8 G-DOBS now flying! OTBD/OTHH ATCO
Email   IP Logged
David Lewendon
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 22.07.2011 at 09:05:21

The warranty on a Lycoming engine starts from the day it is shipped so you would probably end up with an engine well out of warranty by the time the a/c is competed. Plus you would have inhibiting issues and require an internal inspection before using it.

Composed mainly of ginger biscuits and water.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Owen Mihalop
YaBB Newbies

Why not describe
your RV construction
experience?

Reply #3 - 25.07.2011 at 08:35:02

If you buy a factory new experimental category Lycoming engine through Van's the following applies:

Lycoming Warranty: Builder has 2 years from date of shipment to activate the warranty. Warranty is activated when the warranty card is mailed in. This should be done when the engine is first run. If Lycoming does not receive the warranty card within 2 years, Lycoming will automatically initiate activation. The warranty covers 100% for the first year after activation and is prorated for an additional year after that.

The engines are internally corrosion protected and arrive in a sealed bag with a moisture/humidity detection card clearly visible inside the bag. If you store the engine properly and do not open the sealed bag, then you should not have any corrosion issues.

IP Logged
Sam_Cummins
YaBB Newbies

Why not describe
your RV construction
experience?

Reply #4 - 27.07.2011 at 21:33:11

Thanks for the replies.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print