Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
UK Vans RV Forum
Welcome to the UK Vans RV Pilots & Builders Forum.
28.03.2024 at 20:52:49
News: Welcome to the UK Vans Builder & Pilot Forum. Here you will be able to contact past and present RV builders.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Alternators (Read 6127 times)
Sandy_Macfarlane
YaBB Newbies

Why not describe
your RV construction
experience?

Alternators
24.09.2013 at 23:57:55

We have today had an alternator failure in our (new to us) RV10. Previously our RV8 group had 2 alternator failures. All would appear to be the stock Vans part ,the Plane Power AL12 E160B

So 3 failures in 2 seperate installations? Are we just unlucky?

Regards

Sandy

Email   IP Logged
Mike Newall

A330 Capt, Builder,

Re: Alternators
Reply #1 - 25.09.2013 at 11:24:32

I would check the other parts because Vans didn't supply Plane Power alternators - they were automotive ones which are prone to failure.

If the current one is a Plane Power one, I would be on to them straight away as they do pride themselves in customer service.

I have a 60A Plane Power alternator on the shelf if you are stuck.

Mike

07802 977505

7 Flying !, 8 in both workshops. Next one will be quicker, simpler, better. But they all say that, don't they ?
Email   IP Logged
Andy Hill
YaBB Newbies

RV-8 G-HILZ flying,
RV-3 G-HILI building
(slowly!)

Reply #2 - 25.09.2013 at 11:35:08

Hi Mike Quote:
I would check the other parts because Vans didn't supply Plane Power alternators - they were automotive ones which are prone to failure
Vans have supplied the PP one since at least 2006/7 since we bought ours from them - they marketed it as the "Deluxe" Alternator.

As you say, PP Cust Service is good.  I am in an offline discussion with Sandy suggesting there might be other issues at play here  Shocked

ATB
Andy

Email WWW   IP Logged
John Michie
YaBB Newbies

Why not describe
your RV construction
experience?

Reply #3 - 25.09.2013 at 12:10:35

as an aside, automotive alternators fail for a number of reasons:-

they are in a much hotter environment next to the exhausts than in a car. The internal electroncs don't like heat
most rotate in the wrong direction so have the cooling fan removed, actually the all have the fan removed
a cooling blast tube to the outside isn't enough, I've had to mould a bowl for the back to get the air through the alt as designed
they rotate too fast which can cause bearing failure, although you can put a larger pulley on if space permits.

John

IP Logged
Mike Newall

A330 Capt, Builder,

Reply #4 - 26.09.2013 at 22:04:43

All sorted.

Aeroplane back in the air.

These Forums work...... Grin

7 Flying !, 8 in both workshops. Next one will be quicker, simpler, better. But they all say that, don't they ?
Email   IP Logged
Sandy_Macfarlane
YaBB Newbies

Why not describe
your RV construction
experience?

Reply #5 - 02.03.2014 at 14:57:48

A very tardy update on the alternator issues.  

On inspection it transpired that our RV10 alternator was not as described in the POH but actually a Nissan automotive product.  

Mike Newall came to the rescue and sent us his Plane power alternator on an overnight delivery. So within 2 days we were flying again. His assistance was invaluable.

Also on further investigation of  the RV8 alternator issues it appears that there were some diodes missing from the switches so perhaps my initial conclusion that we had experienced multiple Plane Power related alternator issues were completely unfounded.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print