Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
UK Vans RV Forum
Welcome to the UK Vans RV Pilots & Builders Forum.
28.03.2024 at 13:29:14
News: Welcome to the RV (UK) Forum, Registration is manual to keep away spammers.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RV Life (Read 3948 times)
Neil_Mc
YaBB Newbies

Aircraft Engineer
looking at RVs,
unsure which one

RV Life
11.10.2013 at 16:27:27

I come from a military engineering background and been looking at getting an RV-10 kit for some time, Im still in the process of weighing up the pro's and con's.

Does the RV have a finite life like a military A/C?

Also, could my Vans live outside in the UK with a cover on or is it a big no no!

Cheers guys

Champagne dreams with Lemonade Pockets
  IP Logged
John Michie
YaBB Newbies

Why not describe
your RV construction
experience?

Re: RV Life
Reply #1 - 11.10.2013 at 17:00:35

Hi Neil

Civilian aircraft have no declared life, and even if they did it's extremely unlikely they would reach it during your or my lifetime. The RV 10, being of metal and glassfibre construction can be left outside suitably covered but would fare better in a hangar. Most PPLs do an average of about 30 hours a year, even at my 100 h/y my new engine would last 20 years if it had a declared life, which it doesn't for Permit aircraft. C of A engines have a life of 2000 hours plus a 10% overrun, but ours are on condition. The biggest killer of engines is under use which causes corrosion, which is also the cause of most airframe problems.

My advice is - 1. define your flying mission, i.e. the type of flying you will be doing, touring, pottering about, aeros, etc. 2. choose the RV (over all others) that fits that bill. Then you can't go wrong.

John   RV6A   (only because the 7 wasn't around)

ps  make sure you need four seats most of the time, the RV10, while a superb aircraft, is big and more expensive to build and run.

IP Logged
Neil_Mc
YaBB Newbies

Aircraft Engineer
looking at RVs,
unsure which one

Reply #2 - 11.10.2013 at 17:52:06

John,  Thanks very much for the reply.  The reason we are looking at the RV-10 is that we need 4 seats.  We have 2 children and when not travelling with them we travel with our friends. 90% of the time it would be full!

Can a Permit A/C such as the RV be flown in France, where we holiday every year 2 or 3 times!  We have family in La Rochelle and we always said one day we will fly ourselves there!  When its not being used for holidays it will be used for weekends away with all 4 of us.  
One of my favourite things to do is watch Branchair channel on youtube of family trips in their RV-10!  
Sad, I know, but we can dream!

Champagne dreams with Lemonade Pockets
  IP Logged
John Michie
YaBB Newbies

Why not describe
your RV construction
experience?

Reply #3 - 11.10.2013 at 18:18:10

Neil
you have made a wise choice to look at the RV10 then!.

You can take a permit aircraft to France and most other European countries with no formalities, apart from the normal customs etc, as there are bilateral agreements. Some countries require prior permission, but that's not difficult to obtain and again in most cases is automatic and free (except Belgium, who charge). However, it will also depend on your licence, an NPPL generally won't allow you abroad in any aircraft.

To save clogging up the forum, if you want any more info contact me direct on john michie at homecall dot co dot uk. No spaces, of course.

John

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print