Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
UK Vans RV Forum
Welcome to the UK Vans RV Pilots & Builders Forum.
19.04.2024 at 09:55:02
News: Welcome to the RV (UK) Forum, Registration with proper names keeps forum friendly. Wink
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Customs Charges ? (Read 5231 times)
Barry_Coomer
YaBB Newbies

This is going to
cost HOW much ?

Customs Charges ?
11.10.2009 at 19:40:21

Just read a thread that refers to 'Customs VAT @ 15%'.

Is this not import duty by a different name ?  

I thought the end user agreement sorted this ?

Thanks in advance.

It'll all be worth it in the long run !! RV7, sooner or later.
  IP Logged
Rob_Campbell
YaBB Newbies

Why not describe
your RV construction
experience?

Re: Customs Charges ?
Reply #1 - 12.10.2009 at 09:09:35

Barry, unfortunatly not. Ive not imported aircraft parts, but have imported other things from the states. In my case, i got hit with an import duty on the value of the goods, then also hit with VAT on the whole lot ie the price of your goods along with the costs of shipping as well !! quite why you have to pay VAT on shipping charges i dont know.

As for aircraft, they are duty free from import duty but not VAT. just order now to get stuff in before Jan when vat goes back to 17.5%.

Anyone know the score with importing aircraft kits now (ie a vans 7 Smiley ). I know the end user has finished also the simplified route (c100 i think it was) has also gone - whats the way to get your RV7 tail end and wing kit in from Vans via air frieght to my door but duty free ??

And if anyone has a 7 I could have a look at in the cheshire/shropshire area would love to have a nosey at one and willing to buy some avgas if someone needs an excuse to go up for an hr. Looking to order my kit soon i just need a push to get on with it !

hoping one day to have RV7 sliding canopy, O360 FP prop
will be more fun than flying the big jet, 20yrs as licenced aircraft engineer - time I built one !!
  IP Logged
Tim Richardson
RV Moderator

RV7 - Builder
Flying. Hampshire,
England.

Reply #2 - 12.10.2009 at 09:21:36

Duty and VAT are separate items. VAT is chargable on aircraft and parts under a certain weight (the weight is 747 region).
The charges are : (Cost of goods incl shipping + Duty) +VAT.

VAT is charged on the whole lot to stop invoices arriving for goods $10 shipping $2000.

If you used proper shippers like DHL, Fedex rather than Parcel Force they will process your aircraft parts - as long as they are clearly marked as such - without duty. You may get a call** to check the aircraft weight to check for VAT. I have found Parcel Force don't bother and charges are usually wrong with duty also charged.

** Fedex seem to know who/what Vans Aircraft are and process as light aircraft parts.

Maybe worth taking advantage of the reduced rate VAT but the pound is also very week.

Tim

RV7 G-OVII Permit: 23-Feb-07 Flight Hrs:352
Great Lakes 2T-1A-2 G-GLII Permit: 15-Jun-11 Hrs:44.5
RV4 awaiting permit, Carbon Cub under-construction, RV8 kit just purchased.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Big Misters
YaBB Newbies

Why not describe
your RV construction
experience?

Reply #3 - 29.10.2009 at 09:51:02

Re C100  

The form has been pensioned off but the regime i still in existance, Basically in laymans terms the details that were submitted on the form to HMRC are now submitted in the Additional Information (AI) Statements and and End User number of 999 9999 99 is also quoted.  

Some Clearance Agents do not understand End User Reliefs either through full End Use Authorisation (End User Numbers) or the Simplified Procedure. If in any doubt contact us and we will as always attempt to bring clarity to the murky world of Customs Entries.

However just because the Form is no longer used by Customs as an Additional Document does not mean you cannot still complete one and we have an electronic PDF Copy. I'll email it to Tim for uploading onto this site.  

Please do not allow any company whether DHL / Fedex or a customs broker / clearing agent to bully you into doing anything different  

We are available 24/7 on 01394 613457

Jon

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print