Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
UK Vans RV Forum
Welcome to the UK Vans RV Pilots & Builders Forum.
18.05.2024 at 09:22:16
News: Welcome to the RV (UK) Forum, Registration is manual to keep away spammers.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cowl fitting (Read 9772 times)
Mark Browning

RV-7 I0360 G-IVII
 Flying, Built
G-LNNE

Cowl fitting
18.03.2009 at 10:00:04

Thanks Tim for the Tips....

I started on the air box last night with the cut out for the carb accelerator pump on the base plate  ( i had enough of sanding the cowls for the moment )  Tongue  
I must say the instructions for the air box are pretty vague but i guess there are a few combinations of installation depending on induction type.  
 A bit of surfing the construction sites should help. Roll Eyes

In terms of the lower cowl i know what you mean about getting it on and off without damaging the paint (when it has it)  
Each time i take it off and put it back on it gets easier although i am doing this single handed i have developed a knack for installing it  but I am sure i will have to modify the air box so that it removes easily

« Last Edit: 23.03.2009 at 16:02:15 by Administrator »  
Email   IP Logged
Mark Browning

RV-7 I0360 G-IVII
 Flying, Built
G-LNNE

Re: West Sytem epoxy
Reply #1 - 18.03.2009 at 10:07:42

Quote from Simon Ring on 17.03.2009 at 20:35:18:
Hi Mark,

From the photograph you're progressing well, a lot further on from when I saw it last.

Keep it up.

Best regards

Simon

Hi Simon  

Yes its starting to look like an RV ...i don't think i had the engine installed when you came over.... I am managing a day and half at the weekends and an hour or so each night. The cowling are extremely time consuming but enjoyable i think the trick is to take your time and don't get fixated on one area.

As my mother used to say patience is a virtue ... very true when building an aircraft    Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Tim Richardson
RV Moderator

RV7 - Builder
Flying. Hampshire,
England.

Reply #2 - 18.03.2009 at 10:33:39

Quote from Mark Browning on 18.03.2009 at 10:00:04:
Each time i take it off and put it back on it gets easier although i am doing this single handed i have developed a knack for installing it  but I am sure i will have to modify the air box so that it removes easily

While I think about it. Don't spend time making it tight around the gear legs. As you will need to clear the leg fairings. They stick forward and you need to take the cowl DOWN - as the spinner/prop stops you taking it forward. So the gap around the legs is large. It's covered by the cowl-leg fairings. Tip here is to NOT BUY the Vans ones.

http://www.fairings-etc.com/gear%20leg,%20wheel%20pant,%20nose%20gear.htm - this fit with NO MORE WORK!! So when you are sick of working on the cowl these don't require more than fitting. As for the Vans ones.... If you really wanted some....... I have a set you could have for FREE..... I would not dare charge for them!!

Tim

RV7 G-OVII Permit: 23-Feb-07 Flight Hrs:352
Great Lakes 2T-1A-2 G-GLII Permit: 15-Jun-11 Hrs:44.5
RV4 awaiting permit, Carbon Cub under-construction, RV8 kit just purchased.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Mark Browning

RV-7 I0360 G-IVII
 Flying, Built
G-LNNE

Reply #3 - 22.03.2009 at 08:45:08

Tim  
yeah i have been on this web site before for the gear leg fairings,  it make perfect sense than to try and fabricate ones as per the instructions, even though i don't mind fiberglass work these things could take a huge amount of time and i want to be flying next year.

I was a little concerned about the size of the hole i had to make t arround the gear leg to  get the bottom cowl on and off but when checking other web sites its i am about the about the same.

I didn't get much done in terms of RV build time yesterday but i did have a clear out and re arrange my workshop i can now pull the RV out side easily  

Cheers  
Mark  

Email   IP Logged
Mark Browning

RV-7 I0360 G-IVII
 Flying, Built
G-LNNE

Reply #4 - 22.03.2009 at 08:46:31

Tim  
whats your thoughts on the wing fairing ? would this be considered a mod from the LAA  point of view ?  

Email   IP Logged
Tim Richardson
RV Moderator

RV7 - Builder
Flying. Hampshire,
England.

Reply #5 - 23.03.2009 at 09:59:17

Quote from Mark Browning on 22.03.2009 at 08:46:31:
Tim
whats your thoughts on the wing fairing ? would this be considered a mod from the LAA  point of view ?  

Mark,

You may run into a problem if you want aerobatics clearance - check with LAA. As the shape of the wing fairing is different to Vans one.

Another thought - don't make the gap between spinner and cowl small. Some keep it very tight but it makes lower cowl very difficult to remove.

Tim

Email WWW   IP Logged
Mark Browning

RV-7 I0360 G-IVII
 Flying, Built
G-LNNE

Reply #6 - 23.03.2009 at 10:40:17

I have been working with this gap for a week or so now i used a 1/8th spacer between the top cowl and the spinner and then trimmed the cowl back so it fits with the 1/8th gap.
I know the gap should be 1/4 inch but once i have the bottom cowl fitting just as i want it i was then going to sand another 1/8th off both cowls. Do you think that the 1/4 inch gap will be too small?
The last thing i want is to be touching the cowl paint up every time i have to remove it !!   undecided

Yow will be right about the LAA and aeros so i will just keep it standard here  Wink
Cheers  

Mark  

Email   IP Logged
Tim Richardson
RV Moderator

RV7 - Builder
Flying. Hampshire,
England.

Reply #7 - 23.03.2009 at 11:48:21

Do you mean you havethe gap as 1/8". i would make it the largest size Vans gives. If that is 1/4" then yes. The more space behind the spinner the better for lower cowl removal. I put some tape (forget the name - it was to protect flap paint/skin) on the cowl to stop paint damage.
Now the impact of moving cowl back : Check gap between cowl and alternator pully. Do you have a alt pully belt yet? Get the alternator fitted and tensioned as it does sit low and you need to check the gap. I have a small scuff on mine - but that came from a problem I had with fly wheel and the engine was rocking during startup.

THE GAP AT THE REAR - Rear of cowl to firewall. Also do not make the gap too tight. Once you fit the piano hinge you cannot trim the edge to make the gap larger. You need to account for paint on the fuse and cowl. If the gap is too tight you may get chipping of the edge as you fit and refit the cowl. The same for the joint between the upper and lower cowl.

Are you having the upper and lower cowl piano rod(?) going into the cockpit or out of the front of the cowl as per plans?

Hope this helps - brings back memories for me!

Tim.

(shall I split this to a cowl fitting post?)

Email WWW   IP Logged
Mark Browning

RV-7 I0360 G-IVII
 Flying, Built
G-LNNE

Reply #8 - 23.03.2009 at 15:36:38

The plans give 1/4" and i am currently getting towards that ( i started off with 1/8" )  
I already installed the alternator and don't have any cowl clearance issues here so no problem edging the cowl back a tad.  

I  didn't want to  use the piano hinge so i have decided to go for the Milspec fasteners  
http://www.milspecproducts.com/
They are expensive at $600 for the full set,  but make a really nice job, they makes it really easy to get the cowls on and off, plus i didn't want the hinge coming out of the front of the cowl  

What gap would you suggest top leave for paint between the two cowls & firewall  

Cheers  
Mark  
.... ps it would be better to split this to a cowl  

Email   IP Logged
Tim Richardson
RV Moderator

RV7 - Builder
Flying. Hampshire,
England.

Re: Cowl fitting
Reply #9 - 23.03.2009 at 17:01:40

You are using fasteners. With the piano hinge I left about 1mm gap. Some places I wish I had left more.  
Not sure how this would work out with your fasteners but think about your paint finish and the buildup on edges. When you position the cowl.

Email WWW   IP Logged
Mark Browning

RV-7 I0360 G-IVII
 Flying, Built
G-LNNE

Reply #10 - 08.04.2009 at 07:33:26

Tim  
I was going to use Milspec  fasteners for the whole of the cowl but now as i have almost got the cowl where i am very happy with it  Smiley
i am now considering using the piano hinge to join the side of the top and bottom cowl together.  
If i do go this route  i would pass the hinge through the fire wall rather than coming through the front of the cowl ? has anyone any experience in doing this and what would be best to seal around the pin if i did pass it through the firewall ?  undecided

Email   IP Logged
Tim Richardson
RV Moderator

RV7 - Builder
Flying. Hampshire,
England.

Reply #11 - 08.04.2009 at 11:58:48

Mark,

Why are you going back to the piano hinge? I think they look better and have no problems takeing mine on and off  but other builders weem to prefer the fasteners.

I made the hole - for hinge wire in firewall) very tight. As you are taking the wire in and out you cannot perm seal it. But making it tight can make it tricky to find from inside the cockpit.

Fitting: Make the first piano hinge loop on the bottom cowl against the firewall.  
## In REAL LIVE USE - This is not a building hint ## This will enable you to fit the lower cowl, then ... start the hinge wire in the first loop of the lower cowl .... while you can see it is aligned. Fit the upper cowl, fit the rear and front. Then pust hinge wire in from inside the cockpit. You MUST lubricate (not much) the wire or you will struggle pusing it in.  

On mine I bent the end into a small handle. Also made it possible to bolt/fix the end of the wire to ensure it does not move!

When bonding the hinge in place with resin. TAKE CARE. if you get any resin in the hinge it will be VERY hard to remove.

The wire/hinge will take a while to bed-in - along with your techique in getting the cowls on and off!

Email WWW   IP Logged
Mark Browning

RV-7 I0360 G-IVII
 Flying, Built
G-LNNE

Reply #12 - 27.04.2009 at 12:02:19

And finally .....

Yesterday i got the cowl to a point where i am happy; i have lost count of how many times these things have been on and off; So to celebrate i ordered a full set of Milspec cowling fasteners. not cheap at $669 but will make the cowls easy to remove and refit.
I did have an issue with the lower cowl probably my fault even though i always triple measure before sanding steadily;    any way i ended  up with the lower cowl not lining up with the bottom edge of the firewall.   Angry

I had to build up the right hand side of lower cowl side which took me about a week or so then yesterday made some final sanding adjustments if you have done cowl fitting you will probably know what i am talking about.
The cowls themselves are really good but have thousands of pin holes especially where the honeycomb sections are. If you research on the net there are loads of different approaches to fill these some of which appear to be very time consuming so here is what i did with mine....

1) Used 60 grit to sand over the cowls  
2) Mixed some epoxy and lightly brushed the epoxy over 1/4 of the cowl at a time
3) Mixed up some micro balloons and using a credit card piece of plastic ( the wife's credit card !! ) scraped over the cowl until a nice even coat just enough to fill the holes.
4) Next day sanded down the cowls followed by some wet sanding  
5) Shot some acid etch primer and when dried i wet scotched (grey ) to a smooth finish  

Apart from the odd pinhole that i misssed which  will get filled with stopper, that's pretty much ready for final primer and paint.
So until my Milspec order arrives I turned my attention back to the canopy. I decided to drop the instrument panel back in to make sure there were no interference issues nope ! every thing is good ...and with the weather getting warmer i am planning to cut the bubble in the next week or so!    Tongue

Email   IP Logged
Simon Ring

At the planning
stage, reviewing
everything

Reply #13 - 28.04.2009 at 09:38:52

Mark,

Good to see that you are progressing well. Cowls can always be fiddly bliters at the best of times but you seem to have perservered and mastered yours well.

Keep up the good work

Brgds

Simon

Decided on -7 but being swayed towards an 8, Newark, Notts
Email   IP Logged
Tim Richardson
RV Moderator

RV7 - Builder
Flying. Hampshire,
England.

Reply #14 - 28.04.2009 at 11:38:43

Mark,

Looks like you are making good progress.  

If you have not. Rivet up the sub panel and as much as you feel comfortable with before cutting and fitting the canopy frame. As it does move the front canopy position.

Tim

Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print