Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
UK Vans RV Forum
Welcome to the UK Vans RV Pilots & Builders Forum.
18.05.2024 at 07:07:59
News: Welcome to the RV (UK) Forum, Registration with proper names keeps forum friendly. Wink
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fuel Tank Sealant (Read 3307 times)
Martin Hutton

RV10 - Emp done,
wings almost, Fuse
started

Fuel Tank Sealant
11.08.2009 at 13:10:01

Im about to start putting my tanks together with pro seal and just wanted to check if the pro seal is applied and riveted whilst in its wet state or do you leave the parts clecoed together and rivet when set.

The reason I ask is that one builders web site implies letting it dry first and then rivetiing

I would appreciate any help

IP Logged
Mark Browning

RV-7 I0360 G-IVII
 Flying, Built
G-LNNE

Re: Fuel Tank Sealant
Reply #1 - 11.08.2009 at 19:48:26

Hello Martin  

When you have mixed the proseal you will have limited working time depending on temperature
Although you will notice that the longer you work with it the stodgier it becomes so t keep it warm,.to answer your first question no don’t let it set up before working with it.
Here are a few tips  
•      Before you start prepare everything you need such as latex gloves /  MEK or thinners / cleaning rags etc ( to be able to clean up)    
•      Rough up the areas with emery cloth or similar and clean down with mek or similar ( to remove any grease etc )
•      Make sure that you thoroughly mix the proseal  
•      Tape up the areas you don’t want pro seal to get on its easier to clean up  
•      Don’t skimp  with the proseal if you do you will end up with leaks  
•      You will be starting with the tank stiffeners use rivet tape to hold all the rivets in the skin use your back riveter to set these  
•      Apply to both surfaces and also apply in the rivet holes  
•      After riveting apply a small amount of proseal over the shop head of the rivet .
•      Don’t try to do it all at once take your time  
•      To be perfectly honest i have read that some builders don’t like this part of the project but I really enjoyed building the tanks  
Good luck  

Email   IP Logged
Pete Pengilly
RV Moderator

Peter Pengilly
Builder, Pilot,
Aeroplane Designer

Reply #2 - 11.08.2009 at 22:55:15

Definitely rivet together when wet or it won't work. Also apply a fillet of sealant along the side of the ribs and a small dome on the back of each rivet. The aim is to stop the fuel getting out. Make sure everything is really clean before starting.

Pete

RV-6A "Casper"
Tipper, O-320, fixed pitch
Email   IP Logged
Martin Hutton

RV10 - Emp done,
wings almost, Fuse
started

Reply #3 - 17.08.2009 at 09:18:56

Thanks guys

IP Logged
rvflyer
YaBB Newbies

Built Zenair, Rv9a,
rebuilt crashed RV6
& others

Reply #4 - 08.09.2009 at 13:37:06

wear two sets of latex gloves, as the outer pair gets covered in sealant remove & start again or put another pair on

saves rubbing mek on your skin to remove sealant.

mek can give you cancer

PJR
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print