Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
UK Vans RV Forum
Welcome to the UK Vans RV Pilots & Builders Forum.
19.05.2024 at 11:43:04
News: Welcome to the UK Vans Builder & Pilot Forum. Here you will be able to contact past and present RV builders.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hello (Read 4396 times)
David_Phillips
YaBB Newbies

Why not describe
your RV construction
experience?

Hello
22.09.2009 at 16:44:08

Hello chaps, I've just joined this forum as I have an itch that needs scratching.  I've been toying with the idea of building an aircraft for a number of years.  In fact, about 5 years ago I went as far as seriously looking at Europa/RVs/Jabiru etc at the old PFA rally, Kemble.  Anyway, having just moved over to Northern Ireland achieving some form of stability, I have decided now is the time.  I'm based at Newtownards and there is a small gaggle of fine RV7s and an RV8 that is probably about 50% complete.  I've convinced my wife that we need to part company with our Piper Arrow and am now eagerly looking at RVs.  I think I'll go for the RV8 (my day job is instructing so I get enough opportunity to fly straight & level) although I would understand if my wife insisted on something a little more 'crew friendly' such as an RV7.  I'm not inclined to go too far off the beaten track so I'll be looking at an (I)O-360 with, probably, a fixed pitch prop.  Avionics will almost certainly be a mix of standard ASI/Alt and a low/mid range EFIS.

So, back to the shopping list.  

Regards

David P

IP Logged
Tim Richardson
RV Moderator

RV7 - Builder
Flying. Hampshire,
England.

Re: Hello
Reply #1 - 22.09.2009 at 17:10:57

David,  

The side-by-side RV6 & 7 are cleared for aerobatics.  

I have a RV7 IO-360 with constant speed Hartzell. Nice combination and VERY happy with performance.  

My build diary is here: http://www.go-7.co.uk/ Click on build diary pages or construction section. Also some handy links on the home page for interiors and avionics etc.  

Tim

RV7 G-OVII Permit: 23-Feb-07 Flight Hrs:352
Great Lakes 2T-1A-2 G-GLII Permit: 15-Jun-11 Hrs:44.5
RV4 awaiting permit, Carbon Cub under-construction, RV8 kit just purchased.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Rob Dobney
RV Moderator

Reply #2 - 22.09.2009 at 17:52:37

Welcome to the forum & the world of RV's! I'm half way through (well, I like to think it's half way!) an RV8 build. Great fun, the highs definitely outweigh the lows (so far!) during the build!  

Do it.....you won't regret it!!! Cheesy

Ex RV4 shareholder, RV8 G-DOBS now flying! OTBD/OTHH ATCO
Email   IP Logged
David Lewendon
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - 23.09.2009 at 08:21:48

Hello David and welcome,  

The love affair with the Arrow didn't last too long then, what happened to cool your ardour ? Was it the cost of keeping it in the air ?

This forum is not as active as the flyer one but you will find plenty of willing hands to help you out if you need it.

« Last Edit: 23.09.2009 at 13:08:44 by David Lewendon »  

Composed mainly of ginger biscuits and water.
Email WWW   IP Logged
David_Phillips
YaBB Newbies

Why not describe
your RV construction
experience?

Reply #4 - 23.09.2009 at 09:26:24

David, I still like the Arrow, it is a fine touring machine.  It's just that our circumstances have changed, we are now 'entrenched' in Ireland and don't do much touring.  LAA costs will be less but that isn't a driving force.  I suppose I just want that middle-aged-man satisfaction of building a Caterham 7, albeit the flying version.

I'm looking forward to becoming part of the 'community'.

IP Logged
David Lewendon
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - 23.09.2009 at 13:10:55

As you know there are some excellent RV's in N Ireland and I am sure the owners will offer you assistance and encouragement. Good luck.

Composed mainly of ginger biscuits and water.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Mark Browning

RV-7 I0360 G-IVII
 Flying, Built
G-LNNE

Reply #6 - 24.09.2009 at 00:35:11

Hi David  

I have worked over in Northern Ireland and flown out of Newtownards (Ulster Flying Club) several times, Beautiful part of the World, and a nice airfield.

Socially I would go for the RV-7 although after flying in an Extra300 recently; flying tandem was real fun ....  Cool

Any how it’s all down to personal choice, but one thing I can tell you building your own in is extremely enjoyable and addictive. You won’t go far wrong by choosing an RV!   Wink          The Extra was out of my price range ....

Regards  

Mark  

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print