Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
UK Vans RV Forum
Welcome to the UK Vans RV Pilots & Builders Forum.
18.05.2024 at 06:19:59
News: Welcome to the Vans UK Builder & Pilot Forum - To register email admin [at] rvforum.co.uk .
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Antennas for VOR and DME (Read 3338 times)
Martin Hutton

RV10 - Emp done,
wings almost, Fuse
started

Antennas for VOR and DME
08.10.2009 at 08:49:02

Can anyone help me out in what is typically used for the antennas for both a VOR and DME.

I am looking at possibly using the Bob Archer Wing tip antenna for the VOR but what is the usual antenna for a DME to go into a RV and where is it mounted, internally or externally. Ive no doubt there will be a few differing opinions but I would appreciate any help.

IP Logged
David_Phillips
YaBB Newbies

Why not describe
your RV construction
experience?

Re: Antennas for VOR and DME
Reply #1 - 09.10.2009 at 07:43:01

Martin, I don't know specifics about the RV10 but I would suggest that the DME antenna should be externally mounted on the bottom centre of the fuselage.  DME is basically a transponder so it needs line of sight to the ground based station.  However, it should not be affected by position errors and, in that respect, the location is far less critical than that for magnetic flux detectors, ADF and VOR.

IP Logged
rvflyer
YaBB Newbies

Built Zenair, Rv9a,
rebuilt crashed RV6
& others

Reply #2 - 12.10.2009 at 12:52:42

Hi,
I have the 'Bob Archer' flat antennas in my RV9a wing tips (Nav and Com) seem to work fine..we are about to test them properly shortly, just waiting for permit to test.

PJR
  IP Logged
Pete Pengilly
RV Moderator

Peter Pengilly
Builder, Pilot,
Aeroplane Designer

Reply #3 - 13.10.2009 at 21:44:43

I would concur that Bob Archer wingtip antennas work well for the VOR - although you may 14ft to one side of the glide slope  Smiley

For DME use Txpdr antenna as suggested above - nothing to be gained by hiding it away.

Pete

RV-6A "Casper"
Tipper, O-320, fixed pitch
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print