Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
UK Vans RV Forum
Welcome to the UK Vans RV Pilots & Builders Forum.
19.05.2024 at 13:24:48
News: New board SHIPPING added to help RV builders manage their shipping from Vans.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
nose wheel or tail dragger (Read 4210 times)
Paul_Delany
YaBB Newbies

Why not describe
your RV construction
experience?

nose wheel or tail dragger
19.01.2010 at 23:41:54

hi and hello to every one in the uk rv group..i am hoping to rack your collective brains and experience, and to put forward the following question,  i have started building a rv9a and my buddy is building a rv also,,we are trying to decide on a nose wheel or tail wheel  rv.i have studied many videos of other rvs and as i will be doing a lot of grass strip flying i cant decide ..the 9a looks to have a small  clearance between the prop and the ground also i : have 400 hours in Cessna!s and i have no real tail dragger time ,,so any advice or opinions from you all would be great

paul dublin
 Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

IP Logged
Rob Dobney
RV Moderator

Re: nose wheel or tail dragger
Reply #1 - 20.01.2010 at 11:04:29

If its mostly (rough) grass strips you'll be using I would go tail-dragger every time. Having no tail-wheel experience isn't a major problem; plenty of schools do tail wheel differences training and there are RV coaches out there (Will Greenwood for one) who can give you training. Will also please the insurance company!

Ex RV4 shareholder, RV8 G-DOBS now flying! OTBD/OTHH ATCO
Email   IP Logged
bobpipedream
YaBB Newbies

RV6 - the long walk

Reply #2 - 20.01.2010 at 16:11:44

Taildragger - then you can have good conversations with old pilots about the swing they had in Shackletons...

Email   IP Logged
Tim Richardson
RV Moderator

RV7 - Builder
Flying. Hampshire,
England.

Reply #3 - 23.01.2010 at 16:24:54

Quote from Paul_Delany on 19.01.2010 at 23:41:54:
have 400 hours in Cessna!s and i have no real tail dragger time ,,so any advice or opinions from you all would be great

I had 400hrs on Cessnas. Built a tailwheel. Did conversion on a Super Cub about 2 months before the first flight. Then did some time (15 takeoff/landings) with an instructor on my RV7. Found take off harder than landing. Took a little while until I was happy with my take off but going from a C150 to c/s 180hp was proberbly more of the challenge rather than tailwheel.

I really enjoy flying my RV7 tailwheel. If I built again I would do tailwheel again.

Tim

RV7 G-OVII Permit: 23-Feb-07 Flight Hrs:352
Great Lakes 2T-1A-2 G-GLII Permit: 15-Jun-11 Hrs:44.5
RV4 awaiting permit, Carbon Cub under-construction, RV8 kit just purchased.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Paul_Delany
YaBB Newbies

Why not describe
your RV construction
experience?

Reply #4 - 29.01.2010 at 00:17:27

hi thankyou for the advice and i think its tail wheel so  

all the best fly safe

paul

IP Logged
Mike Newall

A330 Capt, Builder,

Reply #5 - 02.02.2010 at 15:51:36

bobpipedream - I am building our RV with an ex Shackleton driver - my Brother !!  Have to keep inspecting things to make sure he hasn't snuck any Avro parts onto it  Shocked

I have sedatives nearby when he starts the war stories.

7 Flying !, 8 in both workshops. Next one will be quicker, simpler, better. But they all say that, don't they ?
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print