Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
UK Vans RV Forum
Welcome to the UK Vans RV Pilots & Builders Forum.
04.05.2024 at 00:10:56
News: Welcome to the UK Vans Builder & Pilot Forum. Here you will be able to contact past and present RV builders.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Its Done and signed Off (Read 6450 times)
Mark Browning

RV-7 I0360 G-IVII
 Flying, Built
G-LNNE

Its Done and signed Off
23.08.2010 at 20:33:04

Pleased to say that its done  Cheesy

Weight and balance completed this afternoon she came in at 1072 lbs including paint      
we had a book running in the engineering hanger.   I lost  and furthest away by estimating  1108lbs My LAA inspector  Mark Bonsall  was only 12 lbs out on his estimation.
The weight schedule using LAA suggested Pilot & passenger weights allow me to carry 2 X 189lbs occupants full fuel and the maximum suggested baggage of 100lbs.  That’s what I call a usable aircraft so really happy with that.
Inspection had been completed last week , Mark  caught me out on one small item that took me less than a minute to put right.
The paper work took the most time to sort out. I sat down for a couple of hours this afternoon followed by an hour with Mark going through each sheet in detail for the obligatory signatures.
Just got to change the insurance from ground risk to Flight status and Send the paperwork 1st class to LAA tomorrowmorning    
Here it is finished and re fueled ready and  waiting for Mr Donaldson to say yes ! Roll Eyes

Email   IP Logged
Rob Dobney
RV Moderator

Re: Its Done and signed Off
Reply #1 - 24.08.2010 at 10:54:06

Looks fantastic! I'm jealous!!!

Ex RV4 shareholder, RV8 G-DOBS now flying! OTBD/OTHH ATCO
Email   IP Logged
Tim Richardson
RV Moderator

RV7 - Builder
Flying. Hampshire,
England.

Reply #2 - 24.08.2010 at 16:46:53

Looks fantastic you must be pleased - well apart from the recent weather!

RV7 G-OVII Permit: 23-Feb-07 Flight Hrs:352
Great Lakes 2T-1A-2 G-GLII Permit: 15-Jun-11 Hrs:44.5
RV4 awaiting permit, Carbon Cub under-construction, RV8 kit just purchased.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Mark Browning

RV-7 I0360 G-IVII
 Flying, Built
G-LNNE

Reply #3 - 24.08.2010 at 18:30:52

Hi Rob and Tim thanks  

Yes I’m happy It took a longer that I anticipated  6 years 7 months and 20 days since starting to cleco the HS  Cheesy
It’s not on budget ...far from it  Shocked but  tell me an airplane that ever was.  

As far as the weather go's let it rain and blow all it wants to for the next week or so but after that well... here’s hoping  Roll Eyes

Email   IP Logged
steve beard
YaBB Newbies

rebuilding RV6

Reply #4 - 24.08.2010 at 18:56:27

She looks absolutely fantastic mark! you must so proud of yourself,  
congratulations on a job well done!

Steve

IP Logged
Mike Newall

A330 Capt, Builder,

Reply #5 - 24.08.2010 at 19:55:51

Bet the painting was on budget..........

Roll Eyes

Just about to grind the gilberts off the fuselage prior to re coating - I will succeed !

7 Flying !, 8 in both workshops. Next one will be quicker, simpler, better. But they all say that, don't they ?
Email   IP Logged
bobpipedream
YaBB Newbies

RV6 - the long walk

Reply #6 - 25.08.2010 at 13:24:51

Nope, don't like it at all, would be much nicer in bare aluminium with blotches of etch primer...

If was more capable on computers I would show you a photo...

The LAA took about 2 weeks for the permit to test (sent end July) but I had an issue with proving where the engine came from (Jadeair) and Jon Viner was away for a day. So you may be lucky and get it back within a week.

The full permit took about three weeks - but only because I had not tested the stall warner properly and had not set it up to go off more than 4 knots above the stall (as it clearly stated on the test paperwork - so I am the idiot!). That cost me about a week. By the way it says that you should do 5 hours BEFORE the permit test flight measurements are done - elsewhere it says 5 hours flying total. Could not get a definitive answer, but I sent it in with 5:25 hours which they happy with and then had to do another 25mins for the stall warner adjustment. Also did all the aero sign off at the sametime with the Dynon acting as G meter.

Only issue I had was terrible vibration at 2300 RPM. That turned out to be the baffle material flapping in the inlets. So I got the sissors out and 20 mins later all was okay.

I did my first solo flights on Sunday (paperwork arrived Friday) and it was good, but my RV grin is still developing from a grimmace of struggle and hard work. Although I did shriek like a little girl whilst doing some aileron rolls...

Good luck  

If you need a chat - 07854 777312

Email   IP Logged
Mark Browning

RV-7 I0360 G-IVII
 Flying, Built
G-LNNE

Reply #7 - 27.08.2010 at 14:20:53

Hi Bob  
I spoke with the LAA engineering this morning who confirmed they had received my application, along with quite a few others this week and that, they hadn’t started to process it yet  Sad

Anyhow I was polite... didn’t want my application placing at the bottom of the pile  lips sealed

I wanted to know if they needed a copy of my insurance certificate before realising the permit to test?
No they didn’t   LAA don’t  deal with insurance this part is checked by CAA on full permit.
Engineering said it would probably take 10 working days but depends on any issues found with the paper work and their current work load.       Just have to wait !                                   

Email   IP Logged
Simon Ring

At the planning
stage, reviewing
everything

Reply #8 - 01.09.2010 at 20:30:29

Mark,
Sorry for the delay in sending my congratulations, but I have been out of the country for the last few weeks and have only just got back to catch up with what's been going on.

A very proud moment for you with all that hard effort that you have put in over the years. Thank you for letting me see it in construction phase and finalisation stage.

Look forward to seeing it in the air.

Best regards

Simon

Decided on -7 but being swayed towards an 8, Newark, Notts
Email   IP Logged
Mark Browning

RV-7 I0360 G-IVII
 Flying, Built
G-LNNE

Reply #9 - 01.09.2010 at 21:41:17

Hi Simon  
Hope you had a good break. The LAA have had my paper work a week now and i know there is a couple of people on holiday..To add to that the bank holiday and  Sywell coming up at the weekend i guess it’s going to be another week.  embarrassed

One good thing though the admin side of the LAA haven’t kicked back any paperwork so I’m hoping thats a positive sign.  
I have to say it’s frustrating:-/ it’s got fuel its insured and its airworthy and so tempting to jump in. Roll Eyes

Email   IP Logged
Mike Newall

A330 Capt, Builder,

Reply #10 - 02.09.2010 at 06:52:36

And then Dixon will be away ................

I'm free !

7 Flying !, 8 in both workshops. Next one will be quicker, simpler, better. But they all say that, don't they ?
Email   IP Logged
Mark Browning

RV-7 I0360 G-IVII
 Flying, Built
G-LNNE

Reply #11 - 04.09.2010 at 00:13:26

Mike
Thanks for all the stuff yesterday the canopy forward seal you allowed me to use is a million times better than the "P" seal that comes with the Kit. I forgot to measure what’s left today but will at the weekend.  
This seal will also be ideal for the side sealing on the canopy. I currently have  self adhesive sponge from Woolies which is fine but probably won’t last over time.

The instrument and avionics cover fits perfectly and ideal for tip ups  ... Wait till the RV boys see's this at Netherthorpe this weekend  Grin   I will get some photos for you.  

Off to Sywell Saturday morning, after a tussell with the "Fun Police" (The wife)  Got offered a seat  in
G-ORAE  which i couldnt refuse and my first LAA fly in.... and of course in an RV !!

Cheers Matey  
Mark  

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print