Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
UK Vans RV Forum
Welcome to the UK Vans RV Pilots & Builders Forum.
03.05.2024 at 16:59:39
News: Welcome to the RV (UK) Forum, Registration is manual to keep away spammers.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Certificate of Airworthiness on a Vans RV10 (Read 2994 times)
Greg_Radley
YaBB Newbies

Why not describe
your RV construction
experience?

Certificate of Airworthiness on a Vans RV10
29.08.2010 at 14:22:26

Hi Everyone,

I am brand new to this Forum so please be patient with me if this question has been asked before or whether the answer is plainly obvious.

At our church, a team of 16 people have volunteered to work with some of the most disadvantaged young people in the acquisition, restoration and flight of an aircraft. We are blessed to have several engineers on board as well as a training captain to assist in the flight training of our young people and a brilliant IT expert to help with our website design.  

Originally, we were looking at the possibility of restoring a damaged aircraft but another team member suggested that we should consider building an aircraft from scratch. We would need to be looking at an aircraft that has 4 seats and the RV10 looks to be the ideal aircraft.

So, that's the plan but the next bit doesn't seem entirely clear.

I understand that if the aircraft were to be used for general flight training of various students then this would disqualify any Annex II aircraft as an aircraft must have a valid Certificate of Airworthiness.

However, I have since learnt that some Annex II aircraft do indeed have a C of A e.g. Piper PA 18.

I do know a licensed engineer who is willing to help us but is it possible to get a C of A on a Vans RV10?

Thank you in advance

Greg

Email   IP Logged
steve hutt
YaBB Newbies

RV-7 Mattituck
IO-360-M1B Hartzell
7497 CS Prop

Re: Certificate of Airworthiness on a Vans RV10
Reply #1 - 30.08.2010 at 22:37:51

Hi Greg,

I'm pretty sure an RV-10, being a homebuilt aircraft, would never be eligible for a C. of A. It would only operate under the LAA-overseen Permit To Fly regime.

There has been a change recently in the rules governing flight training in Permit aircraft (see http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ORS4_802.pdf ) but these would not help in your situation.

The document specifically states that it "excludes instruction in flying given for the purpose of becoming qualified for the grant of a pilot’s licence or the inclusion or variation of any rating or qualification in a pilot’s licence."

On a separate point, the RV-10 is probably not the ideal choice of training aircraft. The RV-10 is a large aircraft with a big engine which makes it more expensive to operate.

Sorry if I'm bursting your bubble. There is much to be gained by all involved from the experience of building an aircraft. If you restrict your sights just to building an aircraft then the RV-12 would be an ideal match for that objective.

There are articles in the Van's RVator magazine about TeenFlight where Van's are working with a group of 14 - 17 year old's to build an RV-12. As an example, see page 7 here: http://www.vansaircraft.com/RVator/2009/5-2009-RVator.pdf

Best of Luck,
Steve Hutt

IP Logged
steve hutt
YaBB Newbies

RV-7 Mattituck
IO-360-M1B Hartzell
7497 CS Prop

Re: Certificate of Airworthiness on a Vans RV10
Reply #2 - 30.08.2010 at 22:42:47

p.s.

Greg, also take a look here: http://www.teenflight.blogspot.com