Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
UK Vans RV Forum
Welcome to the UK Vans RV Pilots & Builders Forum.
06.05.2024 at 19:17:04
News: Welcome to the Vans UK Builder & Pilot Forum - To register email admin [at] rvforum.co.uk .
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gascolators - clean (Read 6088 times)
bobpipedream
YaBB Newbies

RV6 - the long walk

Gascolators - clean
05.10.2010 at 12:24:02

Hi all,

Just a quick note to state the obvious and say clean out your gascolators especially with new aircraft. Removed the bowl from mine at the weekend and there was a huge chunk of lint wedged up in the filter gauze and it had grown to a circular shape. Not too impressed with the Vans gascolator as the recess is not sufficient to enable fuel to bypass around any junk in the filter.

Note: using the drain to sample fuel did not show up anything - I just decided to open the gascolator and that is when I found all the fluff - could have been engine failure land (she played up badly over Didcot and I nearly started looking for fields).

Not sure where lint/fluff came from, could have been at any point of build or even during refueling.

Bob

Email   IP Logged
bobpipedream
YaBB Newbies

RV6 - the long walk

Re: Gascolators - clean
Reply #1 - 05.10.2010 at 12:25:07

Forgot to add that you should also clean the filter in the carb - very easy, unscrew inlet to pull out strainer...

Email   IP Logged
Mark Browning

RV-7 I0360 G-IVII
 Flying, Built
G-LNNE

Reply #2 - 05.10.2010 at 18:11:46

Hi Bob

How many hours has she run for? And did you find anything at the carb filter ?

I noticed a very small amount of proseal particles for the first couple of hours that came from the fuel drain on both tanks. I expected a small amount of debris to start with;  because I opened up my tanks to wire lock the  fuel pick tube unions a couple of years ago.

Now after the test flying stage is completed (10 hours ) The tank drains as clean as a whistle.  
Got to admit I haven’t pulled the gascolator, But guess what I’m doing soon!  Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers Mark  

Email   IP Logged
Andy Hill
YaBB Newbies

RV-8 G-HILZ flying,
RV-3 G-HILI building
(slowly!)

Reply #3 - 05.10.2010 at 20:39:53

I would suggest that the Fuel Filter(s) are all cleaned prior 1st flight (while you're waiting for the LaaLaa paperwork) to get debris from the initial enigne runs, and then again after the 5-10hrs test phase (while you're waiting for more LaaLaa paperwork!).  In this second stage, in fact a 50hr check Oil+Filter change etc. might also be a good idea.

Andy

Email WWW   IP Logged
bobpipedream
YaBB Newbies

RV6 - the long walk

Reply #4 - 08.10.2010 at 12:26:04

Hi Mark and Andy,

I have now got about 12 hours and have done an oil change. I did not change the filter, but did clean the screen in the sump - as I did not find anything at all, I decided to leave the filter till 25 hours.

I did not find anything in the carb fuel screen, but will be checking the gascolator by dismantling it again this weekend. Due to the weird issues I have with the engine wanting to be leaned at anything above 2000rpm (otherwise she runs rough) will also do the following:

Check timing - also satisfies Slick SB
Clean plugs
Check Gascolator again
Check for induction leaks
Check idle mixture screw
Clean air filter and re-oil
Drain carb fuel bowl to check for any bits
Replace stupid fuel sender that seems to be bust already

Then after a static test, I will see if that gets her running smoother again.

When all is better, I also need to change my intercom for the Ps engineering PM1000ii as I can not hear a thing on the flightcom...

Then I just need to find a new strip to base her at near Huntingdon-Peterborough...

Email   IP Logged
Andy Hill
YaBB Newbies

RV-8 G-HILZ flying,
RV-3 G-HILI building
(slowly!)

Reply #5 - 08.10.2010 at 12:41:19

Quote:
I have now got about 12 hours and have done an oil change. I did not change the filter,
Ummm, an interesting "economy".  I'd be interested in others' comments, but the thought of what is in that oil filter, and able to leak back after shutdown, on a new engine would worry me?  What was the rationale for changing the oil and not filter (which holds a fair amount of old / dirty oil)?  Furthermore, an integral part of any Oil Change is to inspect the filter for metal filings.  The screen is fairly academic - if you find anything in there you've got REAL problems  Shocked

Just my 2ps worth...

Andy

Email WWW   IP Logged
John Michie
YaBB Newbies

Why not describe
your RV construction
experience?

Reply #6 - 08.10.2010 at 12:43:37

Hi Bob

induction leaks usually make the mixture lean as extra air gets sucked in. But there could be something moveable/displaceable in the induction system that gets sucked in with the lowered pressure at full revs that partially blocks the inlet.

I was told that a good way to check the mixture setting is to look for a slight increase in revs just before the engine quits with idle cut off. This is quite hard to detect by ear or with analogue gauges but is easy with digital readouts. You have to pull the mixture knob slowly to detect the change.

John

IP Logged
bobpipedream
YaBB Newbies

RV6 - the long walk

Reply #7 - 12.10.2010 at 08:01:51

Hi all,

Andy - rationale was I did not have a filter to hand... She is getting a full change at 25 hours as per the book. My filter has the non return thing (its the 48108-1). She was also bench run by Jade Air before delivery and I replaced that filter just before first flight. If the filter does its job, then at 25 hours I should have a good sample and therefore a good idea of how good the engine has been.

John - I tried to adjust the idle mixture as she has no pick up at all. I turned it out by 3.5 turns in the end and had no change (other than a smell of richness from the exhaust). So I turned it in 0.5 turns from where it was and she ran very rough - so I put it back where it was and everything was fine again. Currently I have a very big mismatch in CHT/EGT between the front cylinders and rear ones. Number 2 is running at 280-320CHT and 1150-1300EGT whilst number 4 is running at 350-380CHT and 1300-1450EGT. I am hoping that putting in a blocker on number 2 will raise the CHT and EGT - but not sure if that is true?

It seems my main issue was caused by dirty plugs, but I am suspicious of why the plugs were dirty and suspect the imbalance of temperatures that make it hard to lean are also causing roughness due to imbalance of efficiency.

She ran to the IOW quite nicely on Sunday. Almost infringed the Solent CTA - was saved by the Aware GPS beeping at me (blasting along at 4000ft, I forgot that the CTA goes down to 2000 halfway across the IOW - not used to this concept of going high).

Email   IP Logged
John Michie
YaBB Newbies

Why not describe
your RV construction
experience?

Reply #8 - 12.10.2010 at 11:07:31

Bob

the difference in egt/cht between the front and rear cylinders is interesting. Could it be caused by induction leaks as suspected, either in the rubber tube connectors at the bottom or the gaskets at the top of the induction tubes? This would cause different mixtures to the front and back cylinders giving the rough running and the fouled plugs, and the inability to adjust the mixture. There seems to a point where two out of ballance mixtures just allow the engine to run but if you go either richer or weaker one pair of cylinders gives up.

Just a thought from an amateur.

John

IP Logged
Mark Browning

RV-7 I0360 G-IVII
 Flying, Built
G-LNNE

Reply #9 - 08.11.2010 at 11:23:11

Didn’t have much on at the weekend so I thought I would pull the gascolator to find if I have any debris in it after 12 hours.
It took me an hour or so and didn’t find anything at all... clean as the preverbal whistle.  Smiley

I did think afterwards "well that was a waste of time" but in actual fact it’s not.   I now know there is nothing there I didn’t before, so time well spent.
 Roll Eyes        

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print