Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
UK Vans RV Forum
Welcome to the UK Vans RV Pilots & Builders Forum.
03.05.2024 at 20:23:32
News: Welcome to the RV (UK) Forum, Registration is manual to keep away spammers.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MY 1st Solo in the RV-7   (Read 6263 times)
Mark Browning

RV-7 I0360 G-IVII
 Flying, Built
G-LNNE

MY 1st Solo in the RV-7  
21.11.2010 at 22:20:40

It was over twenty years ago since I did my 1st Solo 2nd January 1989 in a Cessna 152 G-BHIN
I can remember this like it was yesterday I am sure all Pilots remember theirs.  

Move this on a few years;  build your own with a tail wheel and this takes on a similar challenge.
Today was the day when John Dixon a 14,000+ ATPL  pilot; fellow RV-7 builder and very good mate of mine  Jumped out of the right seat on my airplane and said off you go !   Shocked

Fifteen minutes and two circuits concluded my 1st RV solo.... Whoooooo   Now I truly have the RV Grin. Cool

On the flight back to Sherburn,   Mike Newall came along side at a steady 130 kts,  in his brand new RV-7 G-IVII.  

We were flying to the South of York with the York Minster in the foreground, Two brand New RV-7’s in formation  Life doesn’t get much better than this  only one thing let it down No Camera Ahrrrrrr !

Oh well that gives me another excuse to Fly !!! Cheesy

Email   IP Logged
monacam 44
YaBB Newbies

Re: MY 1st Solo in the RV-7  
Reply #1 - 21.11.2010 at 23:16:52

Well done Mark, that's brilliant news! I'm so jealous, 10 hours of conversion onto my 6 and I'm still not solo!

Mona

Email   IP Logged
Mike Newall

A330 Capt, Builder,

Reply #2 - 22.11.2010 at 01:36:30

Some footage of the day......   Roll Eyes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCHY6n907OE

Well done Mark, a great day  Grin

7 Flying !, 8 in both workshops. Next one will be quicker, simpler, better. But they all say that, don't they ?
Email   IP Logged
Mark Browning

RV-7 I0360 G-IVII
 Flying, Built
G-LNNE

Reply #3 - 22.11.2010 at 14:28:16

Quote from monacam 44 on 21.11.2010 at 23:16:52:
Well done Mark, that's brilliant news! I'm so jealous, 10 hours of conversion onto my 6 and I'm still not solo!

Mona

Hi Mona  
Every ones different, also tail wheel may takes more mastering if you have a poor runway and unfavourable wind conditions. They say that there are Pilots who have ground looped and those who have yet to ground loop!  Tongue

Main thing is that you are safe. The Majority of my conversion has been on Grass because grass is more forgiving;  having said that my last landing yesterday was on Tarmac with a cross wind and was a greaser!  Cool (Not to say it will be next time.) I will be picking the days carefully over the coming months. I am lucky Sherburn has three Grass runways and one Tarmac  

Your instructor plays a huge part in your conversion. Better to have 10 -15 hours dual than having a damaged airplane !   embarrassed

There is no minimum requirement i did my RV / Tail wheel conversion and proficiency check in 4.5 hours.  Having said that I have flow RV's previously but couldn’t log any time because my licence needed SEP check.  

Email   IP Logged
Simon Ring

At the planning
stage, reviewing
everything

Reply #4 - 22.11.2010 at 19:32:43

Mark,

A big congratualtions from both myself and Josh. You are right, that first solo will always remain with you and further milestones along the aviation experience track such as this are no different. I remember going solo in the super cub and how that felt.

You must be so elated... well done mate...happy and safe flying

Simon Smiley

Decided on -7 but being swayed towards an 8, Newark, Notts
Email   IP Logged
Mark Browning

RV-7 I0360 G-IVII
 Flying, Built
G-LNNE

Reply #5 - 23.11.2010 at 08:05:14

Cheers Simon  
Have to say the feeling flying your own machine is fantastic  
 Roll Eyes

Email   IP Logged
bobpipedream
YaBB Newbies

RV6 - the long walk

Reply #6 - 23.11.2010 at 12:21:08

Hi all,

The whole 'ready' thing is a bit strange.

I took 67 hours to be ready for the PPL after waiting 17 hours for my solo. Then I jumped in a Luscombe and ground looped it whilst taxying (no damage just embarrassing as it was in front of the tower).  

Took 3 hours to do my tailwheel conversion and then I went off solo - I think that I was ready, but maybe luck helped... Many hours later when it came to fly the RV6, I had flown in the test phase (as a passenger of course and we did the testing all in one day) and then I just went for it and felt not too bad. However on a subcesquent flight I then forgot the flaps (exceeding flap speed slightly) and still keep forgetting the fuel pump - so perhaps I was not ready.

The thing that always worries me is how much is luck and how much is planning. I have had a couple of issues with the RV so far which have given me an uneasy feeling (fluff in fuel filter etc), however I do feel comfortable flying her. One thing is for sure though, don't fly before you are happy as it just adds another tier of pressure that is unhelpful. I have been up there wishing I were down here a couple of times and maybe it was okay and just nerves - but hard to know.

Of course the whole hours thing is dodgy anyway as I have flown the RV a couple of times round the IOW and back and it counts as an hour, but I did not learn much other than I miss my MP3 player (fixed that at last a few nights ago). So quality is more important than quantity (I got a lot of hours taxying at Oxford during the PPL...).

Email   IP Logged
Pete Pengilly
RV Moderator

Peter Pengilly
Builder, Pilot,
Aeroplane Designer

Reply #7 - 24.11.2010 at 20:45:44

Quote from Mike Newall begin_of_the_skype_highlighting     end_of_the_skype_highlighting on 22.11.2010 at 01:36:30:
Some footage of the day......   Roll Eyes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCHY6n907OE

Well done Mark, a great day  Grin

This took me to a Skippy video!!!

RV-6A "Casper"
Tipper, O-320, fixed pitch
Email   IP Logged
Simon Ring

At the planning
stage, reviewing
everything

Reply #8 - 24.11.2010 at 21:11:06

Pete,

It did me as well... I'm just wondering if there was any implication that a few bouncers were inacted as part of the conversion training..

I'm sure Mark 'greased' them everytime.

Email   IP Logged
Mike Newall

A330 Capt, Builder,

Reply #9 - 24.11.2010 at 21:23:12

I was working in the hangar.............

Calibrating fuel tanks.

He came in skipping, not me !

Tee Hee

Twas a good day  Grin

7 Flying !, 8 in both workshops. Next one will be quicker, simpler, better. But they all say that, don't they ?
Email   IP Logged
Mark Browning

RV-7 I0360 G-IVII
 Flying, Built
G-LNNE

Reply #10 - 24.11.2010 at 22:03:00

Whats that Skip ? tut tut tut  Mike' s freezing in the hanger fixing his plane and Marks enjoying hims self ....  
struth mate thats a bummer ...

What was that again Skip ?  ttut ttut  Marks been flying been flying again Tuesday and again  today !  Blimey he must have nailed the landings by now !   Grin

« Last Edit: 25.11.2010 at 16:57:34 by Mark Browning »  
Email   IP Logged
Simon Ring

At the planning
stage, reviewing
everything

Reply #11 - 26.11.2010 at 19:49:07

So is that what we are going to know Mark as from now on........ Skippy,  

Sherburn's own winged kangeroo

Email   IP Logged