Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
UK Vans RV Forum
Welcome to the UK Vans RV Pilots & Builders Forum.
03.05.2024 at 17:54:55
News: Welcome to the UK Vans Builder & Pilot Forum. Here you will be able to contact past and present RV builders.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Engine/Prop/Mixture control cables (Read 2234 times)
Tim Richardson
RV Moderator

RV7 - Builder
Flying. Hampshire,
England.

Engine/Prop/Mixture control cables
08.01.2011 at 18:45:10

Gents,

http://www.rdb93.co.uk/index.htm  

Having seen a post on the Yahoo group for control cables from Cable-Tec I found myself in need of some replacements for my Great Lakes. I emailed 3rd January (Bank Holiday).
4th (first day back at work) I got a reply with prices, I had to check something so replied in the evening.

6th I had a missed parcel through the door, delivered the following day!!

They took the order, and delivered in a day!!! GREAT SERVICE.

Reposting here for others. I delt with a guy called Rob via email, then called to give CC payment.

Here is Bob Ellis original Yahoo post with RV details etc.

======================================================================
I am creating this topic for anyone who searches in the future.

For those who buy quadrant cables from Vans (CT Q-series) it maybe that you need a custom cable and Vans do this (CT Q-CUSTOM) with about a three week turn around.  When you see the label on the cable a code will look like "184VTT2-60". This is a Cablecraft code and the cable is made by Tuthill in the States and the code means:

184 - Low Friction push pull cable all Stainless Steel fittings
V - Very light duty (80 lbs push & 120 lbs pull force)
TT - Threaded at each end and bulkhead fitting at each end
2 - 2 inches travel
60 - 60 inch total length

The cable has a green coating and this is for use in temperature range -65F to 310F as the area this cable is being used is near exhausts I have been advised to use heat reflective sleeve and plan to fit this from Thermal Velocity .

Thanks to Andy Hill I have found that you can get a same spec cable made in the UK for about the same price (when you take into account $/£ and taxes) and they have a 24-48 hour turn around.

The company is Cable-Tec  and the contact is Andrew on 0151 355 0004. Until this week the company was an authorised Cablecraft assembler but Cablecraft are pulling out of the UK. However they are an authorised Felsted assembler (series 3 - click image)  and they now use the same Cablecraft codes and have comparable plastic coatings.  So if you wish to order a cable from them quote the following :

"184VTTSS2-XX" where XX is required total length and SS = SAE fittings (not metric) and add " all dimensions are inches and cover with Gloss Black HEFT-2 plastic"

Hope this helps

Bob Ellis
www.rv-8.co.uk  
======================================================================

RV7 G-OVII Permit: 23-Feb-07 Flight Hrs:352
Great Lakes 2T-1A-2 G-GLII Permit: 15-Jun-11 Hrs:44.5
RV4 awaiting permit, Carbon Cub under-construction, RV8 kit just purchased.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print