Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
UK Vans RV Forum
Welcome to the UK Vans RV Pilots & Builders Forum.
06.05.2024 at 22:05:04
News: Welcome to the Vans UK Builder & Pilot Forum - To register email admin [at] rvforum.co.uk .
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RV4 tailwheel (Read 4291 times)
Barry_Hunter
YaBB Newbies

Why not describe
your RV construction
experience?

RV4 tailwheel
03.07.2011 at 20:12:12

My RV4 has quite a low clearance between the spring and fibreglass section of the rudder. We keep dinking the fibreglass, not on a normal landing but we've had a couple of firm arrivals. We have a 1993 -4 with the modern castoring tailwheel and I would be grateful if someone out there can solve this little problem for us. I'm sure this is not unique to our plane.

We have been told that when we are fully loaded the spring (flyboy) sits very close to the fibreglass of the rudder.

IP Logged
Alan GEORGE
YaBB Newbies

Re: RV4 tailwheel
Reply #1 - 04.07.2011 at 22:56:04

Hi Barry,

We have an RV-4 with the castoring tailwheel and I have done a few firm arrivals but we have never had a problem like yours.  Where are you based, we are at Gloucester if you would like to compare tailwheels.

Meanwhile here is a photo after landing at Popham a couple of years ago.  We probably only had 1/2 fuel but we are both 14 stone so it was a reasonable load.  As you can see there is plenty of gap between the spring and the rudder.

Cheers, Alan.

RV-4 group member
Email   IP Logged
Barry_Hunter
YaBB Newbies

Why not describe
your RV construction
experience?

Reply #2 - 05.07.2011 at 05:25:31

Alan

Thanks for your reply.
My RV is based at North Moor, Scunthorpe. I'm offshore at the moment and I don't have a photo to compare with yours.
I'd never heard of RVs having an issue with their tailwheels and it sounds like ours is unique!

Barry

IP Logged
Mark Browning

RV-7 I0360 G-IVII
 Flying, Built
G-LNNE

Reply #3 - 05.07.2011 at 14:32:00

Hi Gents  

I am not sure about the RV-4 but on the RV-7 you have to modify the lower fairing by taking off arroud an inch or two from the forward part of the fairing and then glassing in a piece.  
This is not part of the plans but most RV-7 builders do this to prevent damage to the fiberglsss  from the tail wheel spring  Wink

Email   IP Logged
Barry_Hunter
YaBB Newbies

Why not describe
your RV construction
experience?

Reply #4 - 08.07.2011 at 12:36:47

The damage to mine is directly over the tailwheel bolt. It would appear to have too much flex and it is the bolt pushing into fibreglass. We thought a small artistically designed divot in the fibreglass might be a solution..something with a radius of an inch or so. No added weight of course.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print