Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
UK Vans RV Forum
Welcome to the UK Vans RV Pilots & Builders Forum.
18.05.2024 at 08:34:02
News: New board SHIPPING added to help RV builders manage their shipping from Vans.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cowl fitting (Read 9771 times)
Mark Browning

RV-7 I0360 G-IVII
 Flying, Built
G-LNNE

Re: Cowl fitting
Reply #15 - 28.04.2009 at 18:31:49

Hi Tim  

I riveted the sub panel before i painted the inside, its as solid as rock. Having recently fitted the vacuum system and finished up all the electrical and plumbing work behind the firewall I am tempted to rivet the top skin in front of the canopy but sod's law it will make it it difficult if i have overlooked anything.  undecided    

I have to admit it I'm not looking forward to the big cut with the canopy!  I was over at Mike Newall's house a couple of weeks ago looking over his RV-7.  Mike made the cut sound pretty much straight forward ...just hope it's going to be with mine. Will keep you all posted, think i will do a little video and stick it on u tube for posterity!!  

Mark

Email   IP Logged
Tim Richardson
RV Moderator

RV7 - Builder
Flying. Hampshire,
England.

Reply #16 - 28.04.2009 at 23:00:09

Quote from Mark Browning on 28.04.2009 at 18:31:49:
I am tempted to rivet the top skin in front of the canopy but sod's law it will make it it difficult if i have overlooked anything.  undecided  

I didn't put very much under the top skin, and any items in that area I fitted with the skin in place. As I wanted to ensure it was possible to maintain properly when in service. So if I could not fit it with the skin in place then it was going to be difficult to maintain. For example the analogue unit for my engine monitor. Some builders have placxed under the top skin. I fitted it behind the instrument panel so it was easier to get to. This worked when I had a sensor problem and had to get to the connections.

Quote from Mark Browning on 28.04.2009 at 18:31:49:
I have to admit it I'm not looking forward to the big cut with the canopy!  I was over at Mike Newall's house a couple of weeks ago looking over his RV-7.  Mike made the cut sound pretty much straight forward ...just hope it's going to be with mine. Will keep you all posted, think i will do a little video and stick it on u tube for posterity!!

There are all sorts of stories about the canopy. Just get it really HOT. Nice warm day, then all the heaters you can find in the workshop. Mine was like a sauna! I put gaffa tape from one sited to the other to shop it spreading. Went okay. Just treat with care.
Here is my canopy cut from my site: http://www.go-7.co.uk/build/2005/jul05/10jul05.htm

Tim

RV7 G-OVII Permit: 23-Feb-07 Flight Hrs:352
Great Lakes 2T-1A-2 G-GLII Permit: 15-Jun-11 Hrs:44.5
RV4 awaiting permit, Carbon Cub under-construction, RV8 kit just purchased.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Mark Browning

RV-7 I0360 G-IVII
 Flying, Built
G-LNNE

Reply #17 - 01.05.2009 at 15:51:07

Quote from Simon Ring on 28.04.2009 at 09:38:52:
Mark,

Good to see that you are progressing well. Cowls can always be fiddly bliters at the best of times but you seem to have perservered and mastered yours well.

Keep up the good work

Brgds

Simon

Thanks Simon..  
I think the cowls are a bit of a leaning curve for a first time builder (like me) has to go through  undecided  
I am just hoping that I will be satisfied with mine. At the moment they are looking pretty good Hoping to install the millspec fasteners this weekend Smiley

Cheers
Mark

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print