Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
UK Vans RV Forum
Welcome to the UK Vans RV Pilots & Builders Forum.
13.05.2024 at 22:06:57
News: New board SHIPPING added to help RV builders manage their shipping from Vans.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pro Seal - Tanks (Read 3059 times)
Rob Barnwell
YaBB Newbies

Empennage Complete

Pro Seal - Tanks
11.08.2011 at 12:23:50

Guys, slightly confused!  

I was about to go and buy some Pro seal from Silmid but they will only supply 10 tins at a time!! So I contacted LAS who were very helpful and can supply the quantity I need. However, I was left confused on which type to use after my phone call. The advice on the LAS web site and during the phone was to use type A and not type B The Vans build manual suggests type B but not why.

I believe type A is thinner than type B, will this cause a problem and what type have other used? I plan to go with the 2 hour stuff and will try the Semkit too.

Wings under construction.
Email   IP Logged
Mark Albery

RV-8 G-RRVV

Re: Pro Seal - Tanks
Reply #1 - 11.08.2011 at 19:32:12

You'll want the PR1422B2. The A is a brush on or sloshing type grade.
There is a fast curing variety -B1/2 which won't give you much working time.
The SEMkits are nice if you are going to use a full one in a session; cleaner and easier to apply.
With the standard tins I'd suggest getting some electronic scales from Maplin and wearing old clothes. Pro-seal is impossible to remove from clothes.

I'm surprised at Silmid, they used to be happy to supply small orders.

Email   IP Logged
Rob Barnwell
YaBB Newbies

Empennage Complete

Re: Pro Seal - Tanks
Reply #2 - 11.08.2011 at 22:11:45

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your advice. I have ordered the B2 although I had advice on the Sqdrn to use A2. I wasn't sure of the difference but you've both confirmed for me that really it's the viscosity that's different. In view that the tank has a few areas that need a good wedge of the stuff I'm going to try B2.

I've ordered a tin of the stuff and also Semkit. Because there's one or two smallish jobs to start with I think I won't be able to use a full Semkit tube and once opened it has to be used. Fingers crossed all will work fine.

Rob

Wings under construction.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print